Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Thornton’s extension is worth $20.25 million (cap hit $6.75 million); Marleau’s is for slightly less, at $20 million ($6.66 million).
“Patrick and Joe continue to perform at an elite level in the National Hockey League and, most importantly, they make the other players around them better,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a release. “They both made it very clear that they wanted to stay in San Jose and we were able to agree on contracts that fit with our team building philosophy.”
Both veteran forwards were pending unrestricted free agents, and both are enjoying outstanding seasons. Thornton, 34, has a team-high 53 points (6G, 47A) in 51 games; Marleau, 34, has 21 goals and 26 assists, also in 51 games.
Both also took slight pay cuts to stay with the Sharks, who now have six players signed through at least 2016-17, the four others being Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
There still remains one key pending UFA in defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old has repeatedly said he wants to finish his career in San Jose.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 5
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 7
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 15
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 2
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)