Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Thornton’s extension is worth $20.25 million (cap hit $6.75 million); Marleau’s is for slightly less, at $20 million ($6.66 million).
“Patrick and Joe continue to perform at an elite level in the National Hockey League and, most importantly, they make the other players around them better,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a release. “They both made it very clear that they wanted to stay in San Jose and we were able to agree on contracts that fit with our team building philosophy.”
Both veteran forwards were pending unrestricted free agents, and both are enjoying outstanding seasons. Thornton, 34, has a team-high 53 points (6G, 47A) in 51 games; Marleau, 34, has 21 goals and 26 assists, also in 51 games.
Both also took slight pay cuts to stay with the Sharks, who now have six players signed through at least 2016-17, the four others being Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
There still remains one key pending UFA in defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old has repeatedly said he wants to finish his career in San Jose.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)