Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Thornton’s extension is worth $20.25 million (cap hit $6.75 million); Marleau’s is for slightly less, at $20 million ($6.66 million).
“Patrick and Joe continue to perform at an elite level in the National Hockey League and, most importantly, they make the other players around them better,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a release. “They both made it very clear that they wanted to stay in San Jose and we were able to agree on contracts that fit with our team building philosophy.”
Both veteran forwards were pending unrestricted free agents, and both are enjoying outstanding seasons. Thornton, 34, has a team-high 53 points (6G, 47A) in 51 games; Marleau, 34, has 21 goals and 26 assists, also in 51 games.
Both also took slight pay cuts to stay with the Sharks, who now have six players signed through at least 2016-17, the four others being Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
There still remains one key pending UFA in defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old has repeatedly said he wants to finish his career in San Jose.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)