Jan 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Thornton’s extension is worth $20.25 million (cap hit $6.75 million); Marleau’s is for slightly less, at $20 million ($6.66 million).
“Patrick and Joe continue to perform at an elite level in the National Hockey League and, most importantly, they make the other players around them better,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a release. “They both made it very clear that they wanted to stay in San Jose and we were able to agree on contracts that fit with our team building philosophy.”
Both veteran forwards were pending unrestricted free agents, and both are enjoying outstanding seasons. Thornton, 34, has a team-high 53 points (6G, 47A) in 51 games; Marleau, 34, has 21 goals and 26 assists, also in 51 games.
Both also took slight pay cuts to stay with the Sharks, who now have six players signed through at least 2016-17, the four others being Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
There still remains one key pending UFA in defenseman Dan Boyle. The 37-year-old has repeatedly said he wants to finish his career in San Jose.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)