Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Things aren’t getting any better for the struggling Washington Capitals. In fact, they could be getting a lot worse.
The Capitals lost for the seventh consecutive game after falling 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday. It didn’t help matters that forward Mikhail Grabovski left the game in the second period after suffering what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred just after the midway point of the period, as Grabovski got tangled up with a New Jersey defenseman in front of Cory Schneider and got his leg caught under him on the fall.
Grabovski, who has 12 goals and 33 points this season, didn’t play another minute. The Capitals said at one point his return to the game was questionable.
According to Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Grabovski went out for a quick skate prior to the beginning of the third period, but left the ice and went back down the tunnel to the dressing room.
The Capitals were already without star Alex Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals but is dealing with a groin ailment. That only compounds their recent troubles. For the fifth time in this recent skid, they were held to just one goal.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 10
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17