Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Things aren’t getting any better for the struggling Washington Capitals. In fact, they could be getting a lot worse.
The Capitals lost for the seventh consecutive game after falling 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday. It didn’t help matters that forward Mikhail Grabovski left the game in the second period after suffering what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred just after the midway point of the period, as Grabovski got tangled up with a New Jersey defenseman in front of Cory Schneider and got his leg caught under him on the fall.
Grabovski, who has 12 goals and 33 points this season, didn’t play another minute. The Capitals said at one point his return to the game was questionable.
According to Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Grabovski went out for a quick skate prior to the beginning of the third period, but left the ice and went back down the tunnel to the dressing room.
The Capitals were already without star Alex Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals but is dealing with a groin ailment. That only compounds their recent troubles. For the fifth time in this recent skid, they were held to just one goal.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63