Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Things aren’t getting any better for the struggling Washington Capitals. In fact, they could be getting a lot worse.
The Capitals lost for the seventh consecutive game after falling 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday. It didn’t help matters that forward Mikhail Grabovski left the game in the second period after suffering what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred just after the midway point of the period, as Grabovski got tangled up with a New Jersey defenseman in front of Cory Schneider and got his leg caught under him on the fall.
Grabovski, who has 12 goals and 33 points this season, didn’t play another minute. The Capitals said at one point his return to the game was questionable.
According to Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Grabovski went out for a quick skate prior to the beginning of the third period, but left the ice and went back down the tunnel to the dressing room.
The Capitals were already without star Alex Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals but is dealing with a groin ailment. That only compounds their recent troubles. For the fifth time in this recent skid, they were held to just one goal.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)