Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
Things aren’t getting any better for the struggling Washington Capitals. In fact, they could be getting a lot worse.
The Capitals lost for the seventh consecutive game after falling 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday. It didn’t help matters that forward Mikhail Grabovski left the game in the second period after suffering what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred just after the midway point of the period, as Grabovski got tangled up with a New Jersey defenseman in front of Cory Schneider and got his leg caught under him on the fall.
Grabovski, who has 12 goals and 33 points this season, didn’t play another minute. The Capitals said at one point his return to the game was questionable.
According to Katie Carrera of the Washington Post, Grabovski went out for a quick skate prior to the beginning of the third period, but left the ice and went back down the tunnel to the dressing room.
The Capitals were already without star Alex Ovechkin, who leads the league in goals but is dealing with a groin ailment. That only compounds their recent troubles. For the fifth time in this recent skid, they were held to just one goal.
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 10
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 34
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2