Jan 24, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Sharks coach Todd McLellan isn’t worried that Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will lose their motivation now that they’ve signed three-year contract extensions, which will guarantee the pair of 34-year-old forwards a healthy paycheck through the 2016-17 season.
“They haven’t won a Stanley Cup. They haven’t been in the finals,” McLellan said today, per CSN Bay Area. “If that’s not motivating enough… I look at some of the guys like Ray Bourque and Dave Andreychuk, and, in my own experience, Dallas Drake, that played for a number of years. The hunger grows as you get older because your opportunity for success is shorter”
That lack of playoff success remains the big knock on both players. Marleau was drafted by the Sharks in 1997; Thornton was traded to San Jose during the 2005-06 season. Together, they’ve been to the Western Conference finals twice, falling to Chicago and Vancouver in 2010 and 2011, respectively.
It won’t be easy to get out of the West this year either. In fact, this may be the toughest test yet for San Jose. If the playoffs started today, the Sharks would face the Kings in the first round. Beat L.A. and they could easily get the Ducks next. Beat Anaheim and it could be the Blackhawks or Blues after that.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)