Jan 24, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It’s not Devan Dubnyk or Pekka Rinne who’s suddenly on a bit of a hot streak for Nashville. Instead, it’s been Carter Hutton, a goalie who Barry Trotz trashed for what he believed was a soft goal earlier in January.
At this point, the Predators have little choice but to ride out Hutton’s run, as Dubnyk has only managed to play in one ugly game since being traded to Nashville. Hutton now has a four-game winning streak, including three victories since Dubnyk came to town.
Jan. 14 (before Dubnyk): 22 out of 24 saves for win
Jan. 16: 27 out of 30 saves for win
Jan. 20: 35 out of 36 saves for win
Tonight: 33 out of 34 save for win
In a weird way, it reminds one of a mini-run Dubnyk made once Ilya Bryzgalov became available to play for the Oilers:
Nov. 16: 33 out of 35 saves for a win
Nov. 19: 14-save shutout for win
Nov. 21: 24 out of 25 saves for win
One could chalk up both situations to small sample sizes, but it also reinforces this season’s growing theme of there being little safety in assuming much of anything when it comes to goaltending.
Still, the Canucks view this as their failure rather than Hutton’s triumph, as Roberto Luongo stated.
“We have to protect leads,” Luongo said. “This is a tough one to lose.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)