Jan 24, 2014, 1:05 AM EDT
It’s not Devan Dubnyk or Pekka Rinne who’s suddenly on a bit of a hot streak for Nashville. Instead, it’s been Carter Hutton, a goalie who Barry Trotz trashed for what he believed was a soft goal earlier in January.
At this point, the Predators have little choice but to ride out Hutton’s run, as Dubnyk has only managed to play in one ugly game since being traded to Nashville. Hutton now has a four-game winning streak, including three victories since Dubnyk came to town.
Jan. 14 (before Dubnyk): 22 out of 24 saves for win
Jan. 16: 27 out of 30 saves for win
Jan. 20: 35 out of 36 saves for win
Tonight: 33 out of 34 save for win
In a weird way, it reminds one of a mini-run Dubnyk made once Ilya Bryzgalov became available to play for the Oilers:
Nov. 16: 33 out of 35 saves for a win
Nov. 19: 14-save shutout for win
Nov. 21: 24 out of 25 saves for win
One could chalk up both situations to small sample sizes, but it also reinforces this season’s growing theme of there being little safety in assuming much of anything when it comes to goaltending.
Still, the Canucks view this as their failure rather than Hutton’s triumph, as Roberto Luongo stated.
“We have to protect leads,” Luongo said. “This is a tough one to lose.”
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)