Jan 24, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
It appears the spectacle of the outdoor game in the National Hockey League will be reduced going forward.
This season, the NHL had six outdoor games scheduled, although that likely seems because of the lockout that disrupted the 2012-13 season, and led to the cancellation of the 2013 Winter Classic.
The latest in the outdoor series takes place Saturday, when the Anaheim Ducks and L.A. Kings at Dodger Stadium.
“There was an attitude to really just regain the pace and the momentum that we were at before the CBA issue,” NHL COO John Collins told the league’s website. “We have been able to do that.”
However, as per Nick Cotsonika of Yahoo Sports, Collins is quoted as saying the NHL will have “definitely less than six” outdoor games in 2014-15.
It is worth noting that, according to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, the San Jose Sharks are currently looking at three different sites for a possible outdoor game.
The series of outdoor games began on New Year’s Day, when the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Detroit Red Wings in the Winter Classic, which attracted more than 105,000 fans.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (60)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)