Jan 24, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
It appears the spectacle of the outdoor game in the National Hockey League will be reduced going forward.
This season, the NHL had six outdoor games scheduled, although that likely seems because of the lockout that disrupted the 2012-13 season, and led to the cancellation of the 2013 Winter Classic.
The latest in the outdoor series takes place Saturday, when the Anaheim Ducks and L.A. Kings at Dodger Stadium.
“There was an attitude to really just regain the pace and the momentum that we were at before the CBA issue,” NHL COO John Collins told the league’s website. “We have been able to do that.”
However, as per Nick Cotsonika of Yahoo Sports, Collins is quoted as saying the NHL will have “definitely less than six” outdoor games in 2014-15.
It is worth noting that, according to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, the San Jose Sharks are currently looking at three different sites for a possible outdoor game.
The series of outdoor games began on New Year’s Day, when the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Detroit Red Wings in the Winter Classic, which attracted more than 105,000 fans.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 21
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 48
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)