Jan 24, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
It appears the spectacle of the outdoor game in the National Hockey League will be reduced going forward.
This season, the NHL had six outdoor games scheduled, although that likely seems because of the lockout that disrupted the 2012-13 season, and led to the cancellation of the 2013 Winter Classic.
The latest in the outdoor series takes place Saturday, when the Anaheim Ducks and L.A. Kings at Dodger Stadium.
“There was an attitude to really just regain the pace and the momentum that we were at before the CBA issue,” NHL COO John Collins told the league’s website. “We have been able to do that.”
However, as per Nick Cotsonika of Yahoo Sports, Collins is quoted as saying the NHL will have “definitely less than six” outdoor games in 2014-15.
It is worth noting that, according to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, the San Jose Sharks are currently looking at three different sites for a possible outdoor game.
The series of outdoor games began on New Year’s Day, when the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Detroit Red Wings in the Winter Classic, which attracted more than 105,000 fans.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)