Jan 24, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Florida will be without talented rookie and leading scorer Aleksander Barkov tonight when it hosts the Avalanche in Sunrise.
Barkov, who tops all Panthers with 24 points this year, will miss his first game of the season after suffering a lower-body injury against Buffalo on Tuesday.
In his place, veteran Scott Gomez will draw into the lineup for the first time in 11 games — Gomez hasn’t played in 2014, with his last game coming on Dec. 28 against Detroit.
Florida has played well of late, and is on a modest two-game winning streak heading into tonight’s action. It’ll be interesting to see how the club fares without Barkov, as he shoulders a pretty large load for an 18-year-old — in addition to leading the team in points, the Finnish phenom is second on the team in faceoffs, first in takeaways and plays over 17 minutes a night.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)