Jan 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
There isn’t a hotter goal scorer in the NHL right now than Joe Pavelski. There was only one marker in the San Jose Sharks’ match against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday, so naturally it had to come from him.
With just over 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Justin Braun fired the puck at Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. He stopped that initial shot, but while the puck was still in the air, Pavelski managed to whack it in:
Pavelski has found the back of the net seven times in his last four games to rise. He now ranks second on the NHL’s goal scoring list with 28 in 51 contests. Only Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is ahead of him.
Meanwhile, Sharks netminder Alex Stalock earned his second straight shutout. He hasn’t allowed a goal in 140:59 minutes, which is just 29:59 minutes shy of San Jose’s franchise record, according to the Sharks’ Jason Plank.
Their efforts have helped the Sharks win five straight games to open up an eight-point lead over the Los Angeles Kings in the battle for second place in the Pacific Division. Unless the 38-10-5 Anaheim Ducks begin to slow down, it seems probable that the Sharks will end up finishing the regular season in that position.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)