Jan 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
There isn’t a hotter goal scorer in the NHL right now than Joe Pavelski. There was only one marker in the San Jose Sharks’ match against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday, so naturally it had to come from him.
With just over 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Justin Braun fired the puck at Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. He stopped that initial shot, but while the puck was still in the air, Pavelski managed to whack it in:
Pavelski has found the back of the net seven times in his last four games to rise. He now ranks second on the NHL’s goal scoring list with 28 in 51 contests. Only Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is ahead of him.
Meanwhile, Sharks netminder Alex Stalock earned his second straight shutout. He hasn’t allowed a goal in 140:59 minutes, which is just 29:59 minutes shy of San Jose’s franchise record, according to the Sharks’ Jason Plank.
Their efforts have helped the Sharks win five straight games to open up an eight-point lead over the Los Angeles Kings in the battle for second place in the Pacific Division. Unless the 38-10-5 Anaheim Ducks begin to slow down, it seems probable that the Sharks will end up finishing the regular season in that position.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)