Jan 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
There isn’t a hotter goal scorer in the NHL right now than Joe Pavelski. There was only one marker in the San Jose Sharks’ match against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday, so naturally it had to come from him.
With just over 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Justin Braun fired the puck at Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. He stopped that initial shot, but while the puck was still in the air, Pavelski managed to whack it in:
Pavelski has found the back of the net seven times in his last four games to rise. He now ranks second on the NHL’s goal scoring list with 28 in 51 contests. Only Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is ahead of him.
Meanwhile, Sharks netminder Alex Stalock earned his second straight shutout. He hasn’t allowed a goal in 140:59 minutes, which is just 29:59 minutes shy of San Jose’s franchise record, according to the Sharks’ Jason Plank.
Their efforts have helped the Sharks win five straight games to open up an eight-point lead over the Los Angeles Kings in the battle for second place in the Pacific Division. Unless the 38-10-5 Anaheim Ducks begin to slow down, it seems probable that the Sharks will end up finishing the regular season in that position.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)