Jan 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
There isn’t a hotter goal scorer in the NHL right now than Joe Pavelski. There was only one marker in the San Jose Sharks’ match against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday, so naturally it had to come from him.
With just over 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Justin Braun fired the puck at Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. He stopped that initial shot, but while the puck was still in the air, Pavelski managed to whack it in:
Pavelski has found the back of the net seven times in his last four games to rise. He now ranks second on the NHL’s goal scoring list with 28 in 51 contests. Only Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is ahead of him.
Meanwhile, Sharks netminder Alex Stalock earned his second straight shutout. He hasn’t allowed a goal in 140:59 minutes, which is just 29:59 minutes shy of San Jose’s franchise record, according to the Sharks’ Jason Plank.
Their efforts have helped the Sharks win five straight games to open up an eight-point lead over the Los Angeles Kings in the battle for second place in the Pacific Division. Unless the 38-10-5 Anaheim Ducks begin to slow down, it seems probable that the Sharks will end up finishing the regular season in that position.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 9
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 64
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (64)