Jan 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
There isn’t a hotter goal scorer in the NHL right now than Joe Pavelski. There was only one marker in the San Jose Sharks’ match against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday, so naturally it had to come from him.
With just over 13 minutes remaining in the third period, Justin Braun fired the puck at Jets goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. He stopped that initial shot, but while the puck was still in the air, Pavelski managed to whack it in:
Pavelski has found the back of the net seven times in his last four games to rise. He now ranks second on the NHL’s goal scoring list with 28 in 51 contests. Only Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is ahead of him.
Meanwhile, Sharks netminder Alex Stalock earned his second straight shutout. He hasn’t allowed a goal in 140:59 minutes, which is just 29:59 minutes shy of San Jose’s franchise record, according to the Sharks’ Jason Plank.
Their efforts have helped the Sharks win five straight games to open up an eight-point lead over the Los Angeles Kings in the battle for second place in the Pacific Division. Unless the 38-10-5 Anaheim Ducks begin to slow down, it seems probable that the Sharks will end up finishing the regular season in that position.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)