Jan 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
One of the NHL’s hottest goalies will be in action again tonight. New Jersey’s Cory Schneider is 3-1-2 with a 1.13 goals-against average and .958 save percentage in January, and he’ll be between the pipes for the Devils when they host struggling Washington.
Schneider’s last start couldn’t have been much easier to win. Finally, he got some goal support, as the Devils hammered the Blues, 7-1, on Tuesday. Head coach Peter DeBoer had previously joked that all Schneider had to do was “pitch a shutout” to get a win. Four times this season New Jersey has failed to score a single goal for the 27-year-old.
“He’s battled through a lot of unsupportive nights,” DeBoer said after the Blues game, per The Record. “Not for lack of effort. It was just that the puck wasn’t going in. So it was nice to give him a little bit of a cushion.”
Schneider’s overall numbers (.926 SV%, 1.88 GAA) are quite a bit better than New Jersey’s other netminder, future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur (.905, 2.36). It should be interesting to see if the younger goalie gets significantly more starts down the stretch as the Devils try to chase down a playoff spot, and what impact that may have on the older goalie’s future.
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)