Jan 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
One of the NHL’s hottest goalies will be in action again tonight. New Jersey’s Cory Schneider is 3-1-2 with a 1.13 goals-against average and .958 save percentage in January, and he’ll be between the pipes for the Devils when they host struggling Washington.
Schneider’s last start couldn’t have been much easier to win. Finally, he got some goal support, as the Devils hammered the Blues, 7-1, on Tuesday. Head coach Peter DeBoer had previously joked that all Schneider had to do was “pitch a shutout” to get a win. Four times this season New Jersey has failed to score a single goal for the 27-year-old.
“He’s battled through a lot of unsupportive nights,” DeBoer said after the Blues game, per The Record. “Not for lack of effort. It was just that the puck wasn’t going in. So it was nice to give him a little bit of a cushion.”
Schneider’s overall numbers (.926 SV%, 1.88 GAA) are quite a bit better than New Jersey’s other netminder, future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur (.905, 2.36). It should be interesting to see if the younger goalie gets significantly more starts down the stretch as the Devils try to chase down a playoff spot, and what impact that may have on the older goalie’s future.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)