Jan 24, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Yesterday, reports surfaced that veteran Vinny Prospal would be joining Vancouver’s AHL team in Utica on a professional tryout in the hopes of reviving his NHL career.
Today, he changed his mind.
The Canucks announced that Prospal has declined to join the Comets, and will retire. The decision comes just months after Prospal told the Columbus Dispatch he had no intention to retire, and was training in Europe with the intention of playing in the NHL again.
Prospal says he knew after the 1st practice with the #Comets that he can’t give the game 100% anymore.
— News1130 Sports (@News1130Sports) January 24, 2014
Prospal, 38, led the Blue Jackets in scoring last year with 30 points in 48 games. He wasn’t brought back after becoming a UFA in July, however, as the club opted to give its younger forwards an opportunity to play more (the club also brought in Nathan Horton via free agency).
The tryout with Vancouver made sense, though, as Prospal and Canucks head coach John Tortorella have a long history together. Prospal played under Torts in both Tampa Bay and New York, scoring a career-high 80 points in 81 games with the Bolts during the 2005-06 campaign.
Update: Here’s some insight into Prospal’s decision, from Utica play-by-play man Brendan Burke…
Talked to Prospal this morning. Said it wouldn’t be fair to anyone if he wasn’t 100% committed. Headed home to be a dad to his 3 kids.
— Brendan Burke (@brendanmburke) January 24, 2014
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
May 4, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
And Glen Sather isn’t sure he’ll ever permit it, either.
May 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
“I have to get to the inside; that’s the biggest thing.”
May 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The Ducks have been deadly on the power play, unlike during the regular season.
May 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Youth-laden squad continues to impress.
May 4, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
“If it means allowing players to go to free agency, if it means making players sweat it out on what their deal’s going to be, he’s the priority for us.”
May 4, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Virtanen was the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft.
May 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jets’ AHL team will play at the MTS Centre next season.
May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
He’s hoping to “find a way to get a bigger role.”
May 4, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
“Prust has engaged himself in something that’s going to take him into an area where he doesn’t want to be part of.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)