Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals, with a recent inability to score goals, continue to plunge down the Eastern Conference standings.
Minus Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals lost 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday, with another offensive-minded forward, Mikhail Grabovski, leaving the game due to injury after an awkward fall in the second period.
That makes it seven consecutive losses for Washington, although two of those came in the shootout. This skid has dropped the Capitals down to seventh in the Metropolitan Division. All is not lost. They’re only five points back of the New York Rangers for the second spot in the division.
But continue to lose, and continue to fall further back. The formula for getting back in the win column, well, it sounds so simple. Goals would help, too. During this stretch, the Capitals have been shut out once, and held to only one goal in five other games.
“We’ve just gotta find a way to win a game. Gotta find some goals. It seems like we have to get a shutout to win a game. We’ve got to find a way to do it,” Capitals’ forward Jason Chimera said afterward, as per the Washington Post.
“If desperation doesn’t set in then we’re in trouble, that’s for sure.”
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 6
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)