Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals, with a recent inability to score goals, continue to plunge down the Eastern Conference standings.
Minus Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals lost 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday, with another offensive-minded forward, Mikhail Grabovski, leaving the game due to injury after an awkward fall in the second period.
That makes it seven consecutive losses for Washington, although two of those came in the shootout. This skid has dropped the Capitals down to seventh in the Metropolitan Division. All is not lost. They’re only five points back of the New York Rangers for the second spot in the division.
But continue to lose, and continue to fall further back. The formula for getting back in the win column, well, it sounds so simple. Goals would help, too. During this stretch, the Capitals have been shut out once, and held to only one goal in five other games.
“We’ve just gotta find a way to win a game. Gotta find some goals. It seems like we have to get a shutout to win a game. We’ve got to find a way to do it,” Capitals’ forward Jason Chimera said afterward, as per the Washington Post.
“If desperation doesn’t set in then we’re in trouble, that’s for sure.”
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 26
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 21
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 32
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)