Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals, with a recent inability to score goals, continue to plunge down the Eastern Conference standings.
Minus Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals lost 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday, with another offensive-minded forward, Mikhail Grabovski, leaving the game due to injury after an awkward fall in the second period.
That makes it seven consecutive losses for Washington, although two of those came in the shootout. This skid has dropped the Capitals down to seventh in the Metropolitan Division. All is not lost. They’re only five points back of the New York Rangers for the second spot in the division.
But continue to lose, and continue to fall further back. The formula for getting back in the win column, well, it sounds so simple. Goals would help, too. During this stretch, the Capitals have been shut out once, and held to only one goal in five other games.
“We’ve just gotta find a way to win a game. Gotta find some goals. It seems like we have to get a shutout to win a game. We’ve got to find a way to do it,” Capitals’ forward Jason Chimera said afterward, as per the Washington Post.
“If desperation doesn’t set in then we’re in trouble, that’s for sure.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)