Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals, with a recent inability to score goals, continue to plunge down the Eastern Conference standings.
Minus Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals lost 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday, with another offensive-minded forward, Mikhail Grabovski, leaving the game due to injury after an awkward fall in the second period.
That makes it seven consecutive losses for Washington, although two of those came in the shootout. This skid has dropped the Capitals down to seventh in the Metropolitan Division. All is not lost. They’re only five points back of the New York Rangers for the second spot in the division.
But continue to lose, and continue to fall further back. The formula for getting back in the win column, well, it sounds so simple. Goals would help, too. During this stretch, the Capitals have been shut out once, and held to only one goal in five other games.
“We’ve just gotta find a way to win a game. Gotta find some goals. It seems like we have to get a shutout to win a game. We’ve got to find a way to do it,” Capitals’ forward Jason Chimera said afterward, as per the Washington Post.
“If desperation doesn’t set in then we’re in trouble, that’s for sure.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (60)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)