Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 PM EST
The Washington Capitals, with a recent inability to score goals, continue to plunge down the Eastern Conference standings.
Minus Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals lost 2-1 to the New Jersey Devils on Friday, with another offensive-minded forward, Mikhail Grabovski, leaving the game due to injury after an awkward fall in the second period.
That makes it seven consecutive losses for Washington, although two of those came in the shootout. This skid has dropped the Capitals down to seventh in the Metropolitan Division. All is not lost. They’re only five points back of the New York Rangers for the second spot in the division.
But continue to lose, and continue to fall further back. The formula for getting back in the win column, well, it sounds so simple. Goals would help, too. During this stretch, the Capitals have been shut out once, and held to only one goal in five other games.
“We’ve just gotta find a way to win a game. Gotta find some goals. It seems like we have to get a shutout to win a game. We’ve got to find a way to do it,” Capitals’ forward Jason Chimera said afterward, as per the Washington Post.
“If desperation doesn’t set in then we’re in trouble, that’s for sure.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)