Jan 24, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are slowly inching back towards full health — on Friday, Daniel Alfredsson announced he’d play for the first time since Jan. 9 when the Wings host the Habs at Joe Louis.
To make room for Alfredsson, Todd Bertuzzi will be a healthy scratch tonight.
Alfredsson, 41, has been sidelined by a back injury that’s cost him the last six games. It marked his second lengthy period on the shelf this season — earlier in the year, he missed five games with a groin strain.
When healthy, Alfie has been a tremendous contributor to the Detroit lineup. He has 30 points in 38 games this year, which included a stellar opening month when he had 11 points in his first 13 games as a Red Wing. Alfredsson also had 10 points in 13 games in December.
As mentioned above, the Wings are starting to get healthy. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson returned from a 10-game absence earlier this week, and speedy forward Darren Helm returned from a seven-game absence on Monday.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)