Jan 24, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are slowly inching back towards full health — on Friday, Daniel Alfredsson announced he’d play for the first time since Jan. 9 when the Wings host the Habs at Joe Louis.
To make room for Alfredsson, Todd Bertuzzi will be a healthy scratch tonight.
Alfredsson, 41, has been sidelined by a back injury that’s cost him the last six games. It marked his second lengthy period on the shelf this season — earlier in the year, he missed five games with a groin strain.
When healthy, Alfie has been a tremendous contributor to the Detroit lineup. He has 30 points in 38 games this year, which included a stellar opening month when he had 11 points in his first 13 games as a Red Wing. Alfredsson also had 10 points in 13 games in December.
As mentioned above, the Wings are starting to get healthy. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson returned from a 10-game absence earlier this week, and speedy forward Darren Helm returned from a seven-game absence on Monday.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EST
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EST
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EST
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EST
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Guess who holds that record?
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)