Jan 23, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
When the Dallas Stars signed Sergei Gonchar, it was believed that part of the motivation was that he might “mentor” Valeri Nichushkin, much like he did for Evgeni Malkin. Gonchar probably didn’t think that mentoring meant “allowing him to practice his checking,” though:
(Nichushkin made Team Russia and Gonchar didn’t, yet did he really need to rub it in like that?)
OK, obviously those were just two successive mistakes, but at least this can be labeled comic relief as it appears that Gonchar isn’t injured.
Nichushkin came into Thursday with 53 hits in 47 games. Those two won’t count toward his totals.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34