Jan 23, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
When the Dallas Stars signed Sergei Gonchar, it was believed that part of the motivation was that he might “mentor” Valeri Nichushkin, much like he did for Evgeni Malkin. Gonchar probably didn’t think that mentoring meant “allowing him to practice his checking,” though:
(Nichushkin made Team Russia and Gonchar didn’t, yet did he really need to rub it in like that?)
OK, obviously those were just two successive mistakes, but at least this can be labeled comic relief as it appears that Gonchar isn’t injured.
Nichushkin came into Thursday with 53 hits in 47 games. Those two won’t count toward his totals.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11