Jan 23, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
When the Dallas Stars signed Sergei Gonchar, it was believed that part of the motivation was that he might “mentor” Valeri Nichushkin, much like he did for Evgeni Malkin. Gonchar probably didn’t think that mentoring meant “allowing him to practice his checking,” though:
(Nichushkin made Team Russia and Gonchar didn’t, yet did he really need to rub it in like that?)
OK, obviously those were just two successive mistakes, but at least this can be labeled comic relief as it appears that Gonchar isn’t injured.
Nichushkin came into Thursday with 53 hits in 47 games. Those two won’t count toward his totals.
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 0
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 9
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 8
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 44
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28