Jan 23, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
When the Dallas Stars signed Sergei Gonchar, it was believed that part of the motivation was that he might “mentor” Valeri Nichushkin, much like he did for Evgeni Malkin. Gonchar probably didn’t think that mentoring meant “allowing him to practice his checking,” though:
(Nichushkin made Team Russia and Gonchar didn’t, yet did he really need to rub it in like that?)
OK, obviously those were just two successive mistakes, but at least this can be labeled comic relief as it appears that Gonchar isn’t injured.
Nichushkin came into Thursday with 53 hits in 47 games. Those two won’t count toward his totals.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5