Jan 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Update: Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock said that Alexander Steen is day-to-day. That’s a vague reading, but at least it wasn’t a grim one. St. Louis beat the New York Rangers 2-1.
When Steen was neck-and-neck with the likes of Alex Ovechkin for the goal-scoring lead, many wondered if he could stay hot. Maybe they should have asked if he could stay healthy, instead.
The 29-year-old suffered a lower-body injury against the New York Rangers and won’t return Thursday. It’s believed he suffered it from a hit by Dan Girardi.
Fittingly, Steen also scored his 26th goal of the season tonight:
The recently re-signed sniper hadn’t missed a beat after his return from a concussion that sidelined him for 11 games. He has two goals and two assist for four points in his four games back since returning on Jan. 18, but now the Blues must be concerned that he’ll miss even more time.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)