Jan 23, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
From NBC Washington’s Adam Vinigan:
Considering that goal came just past the halfway mark of Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to the Senators, Alzner’s assessment says a lot about his team’s collective mindset these days.
Winless in their last six, and with their odds of making the playoffs having fallen off a cliff, the Capitals could also be without Alex Ovechkin (lower body) again Friday when they kick off a five-game road string in New Jersey.
“Tough to say right now,” coach Adam Oates said when asked about his captain’s status, per CSN Washington. “We’ll have to see how he feels in the morning. If he can skate [Friday morning] we’d consider putting him in.”
The Devils are just one of the teams that have passed the Caps in the standings. Games against red-hot Columbus (Jan. 30) and Detroit (Jan. 31) also loom large on Washington’s upcoming trip.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)