Jan 23, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
From NBC Washington’s Adam Vinigan:
Considering that goal came just past the halfway mark of Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to the Senators, Alzner’s assessment says a lot about his team’s collective mindset these days.
Winless in their last six, and with their odds of making the playoffs having fallen off a cliff, the Capitals could also be without Alex Ovechkin (lower body) again Friday when they kick off a five-game road string in New Jersey.
“Tough to say right now,” coach Adam Oates said when asked about his captain’s status, per CSN Washington. “We’ll have to see how he feels in the morning. If he can skate [Friday morning] we’d consider putting him in.”
The Devils are just one of the teams that have passed the Caps in the standings. Games against red-hot Columbus (Jan. 30) and Detroit (Jan. 31) also loom large on Washington’s upcoming trip.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)