Jan 23, 2014, 1:52 PM EST
From NBC Washington’s Adam Vinigan:
Considering that goal came just past the halfway mark of Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to the Senators, Alzner’s assessment says a lot about his team’s collective mindset these days.
Winless in their last six, and with their odds of making the playoffs having fallen off a cliff, the Capitals could also be without Alex Ovechkin (lower body) again Friday when they kick off a five-game road string in New Jersey.
“Tough to say right now,” coach Adam Oates said when asked about his captain’s status, per CSN Washington. “We’ll have to see how he feels in the morning. If he can skate [Friday morning] we’d consider putting him in.”
The Devils are just one of the teams that have passed the Caps in the standings. Games against red-hot Columbus (Jan. 30) and Detroit (Jan. 31) also loom large on Washington’s upcoming trip.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)