Jan 23, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
New Jersey recalled forward Joe Whitney from AHL Albany on Thursday and, if GM Lou Lamoriello sticks to his word, Whitney could be in line for quite the NHL debut tomorrow.
“With everybody becoming healthy we’ve got to try to find a left wing for Travis [Zajac] and [Jaromir] Jagr,” Lamoriello said, per NorthJersey.com. “So we’re going to give Joe a chance.”
Whitney, 25, was an undrafted free agent out of Boston College that signed an AHL pact with Albany in 2011. A diminutive skater — he’s listed as 5-foot-6, 170 pounds — Whitney has been a productive scorer at the American League level and currently leads Albany in goals (16), assists (20) and points (36).
If Whitney’s story sounds familiar, it should. New Jersey already features another undersized, undrafted ex-BC forward that worked his way to the NHL — Stephen Gionta, who spent years in the AHL before making his big-league debut at age 27.
Lamoriello says Whitney has earned his chance with the Devils.
“He’s leading us in scoring in the minors, and he led us last year,” Lamoriello explained. “He deserves the opportunity.”
According to this morning’s line rushes, Whitney looks as though he’ll indeed skate with Jagr and Zajac. The Devils next play on Friday in New Jersey against the Washington Capitals.
(Headshot courtesy TheAHL.com)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)