Jan 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The youngest player named to Sweden’s Olympic team is just excited to be part of it all.
“That’s most likely what’s going to happen, and I’m totally fine with that,” Landeskog explained. “I’m pretty excited to just be apart of it and whatever role I get.”
This quote gives a pretty good example of Sweden’s depth — based on his season thus far and overall body of work, Landeskog would be a top-line option for a number of other countries. The 2013 Calder winner has 14 goals and 36 points through 48 games this year, averaging 18:33 TOI per game while leading all Avs forwards in hits (104), placing second in takeaways (37).
But on Team Sweden, there’s serious competition up front.
Veteran NHLers like Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Nicklas Backstrom, Alex Steen and Loui Eriksson are all vying for ice time, as are the likes of Daniel Alfredsson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Patrik Berglund, Marcus Kruger and Jakob Silfverberg. In fact, the Swedes only took one non-NHLer to Sochi — forward Jimmie Ericsson, who plays for Skelleftea AIK of the Swedish Hockey League and is the older brother of Team Sweden/Detroit defenseman Jonathan Ericsson.
As for Landeskog, he’s unsure what line he’ll be on, or who his linemates will be. He just wants to get to Sochi and help the Swedes challenge for gold.
“I will do anything I can to help the team,” he said.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)