Jan 23, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr has been a go-to player for production in New Jersey this season, but he’s also been a go-to guy for candid quotes. His latest beef appears to be the Devils’ tendency to change up his linemates, as the Newark Star Ledger reports on Thursday.
“It keeps changing,” Jagr said. “You get new guys coming in and out. I don’t really like it but that’s the way it is.”
“This game is too quick to play with guys you don’t know about. Sometimes you have to do things when you don’t even see them. You have to have a sense that he should be there. The game is so quick. We’ll see what happens.”
By the Star Ledger’s count, Jagr, 41, has dealt with about six different configurations this season, and the latest is expected to be one fairly common partner (Travis Zajac) and an AHL call-up in Joe Whitney.
At 5-foot-6, Whitney has likely overcome some hurdles in getting high-level hockey opportunities, yet now he finds himself skating alongside the NHL’s seventh all-time leading scorer in Jagr.
Whitney, 25, has been productive at the AHL level, including 36 points in 40 games with the Albany Devils this season. For even more on the small scorer, click here.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer thinks that the under-sized forward could bring “a little energy” to a Jagr – Zajac pairing that’s had its struggles, but Jagr simply remarked that “it’s tough to say.”
It’s also tough to say how long this constellation might last, but the Devils will get a taste of it against the Washington Capitals on Friday.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)