Jan 23, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr has been a go-to player for production in New Jersey this season, but he’s also been a go-to guy for candid quotes. His latest beef appears to be the Devils’ tendency to change up his linemates, as the Newark Star Ledger reports on Thursday.
“It keeps changing,” Jagr said. “You get new guys coming in and out. I don’t really like it but that’s the way it is.”
“This game is too quick to play with guys you don’t know about. Sometimes you have to do things when you don’t even see them. You have to have a sense that he should be there. The game is so quick. We’ll see what happens.”
By the Star Ledger’s count, Jagr, 41, has dealt with about six different configurations this season, and the latest is expected to be one fairly common partner (Travis Zajac) and an AHL call-up in Joe Whitney.
At 5-foot-6, Whitney has likely overcome some hurdles in getting high-level hockey opportunities, yet now he finds himself skating alongside the NHL’s seventh all-time leading scorer in Jagr.
Whitney, 25, has been productive at the AHL level, including 36 points in 40 games with the Albany Devils this season. For even more on the small scorer, click here.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer thinks that the under-sized forward could bring “a little energy” to a Jagr – Zajac pairing that’s had its struggles, but Jagr simply remarked that “it’s tough to say.”
It’s also tough to say how long this constellation might last, but the Devils will get a taste of it against the Washington Capitals on Friday.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
Dec 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Was sandwiched by Ennis and Stafford.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)