Jan 23, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr has been a go-to player for production in New Jersey this season, but he’s also been a go-to guy for candid quotes. His latest beef appears to be the Devils’ tendency to change up his linemates, as the Newark Star Ledger reports on Thursday.
“It keeps changing,” Jagr said. “You get new guys coming in and out. I don’t really like it but that’s the way it is.”
“This game is too quick to play with guys you don’t know about. Sometimes you have to do things when you don’t even see them. You have to have a sense that he should be there. The game is so quick. We’ll see what happens.”
By the Star Ledger’s count, Jagr, 41, has dealt with about six different configurations this season, and the latest is expected to be one fairly common partner (Travis Zajac) and an AHL call-up in Joe Whitney.
At 5-foot-6, Whitney has likely overcome some hurdles in getting high-level hockey opportunities, yet now he finds himself skating alongside the NHL’s seventh all-time leading scorer in Jagr.
Whitney, 25, has been productive at the AHL level, including 36 points in 40 games with the Albany Devils this season. For even more on the small scorer, click here.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer thinks that the under-sized forward could bring “a little energy” to a Jagr – Zajac pairing that’s had its struggles, but Jagr simply remarked that “it’s tough to say.”
It’s also tough to say how long this constellation might last, but the Devils will get a taste of it against the Washington Capitals on Friday.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)