Jan 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
If the 2014 NHL Draft happened on Thursday instead of June 27-28 in Philadelphia, TSN’s experts believe that defenseman Aaron Ekblad would be the No. 1 pick.
The midseason poll saw eight of 10 respondents choose him first while the remaining votes placed him second. The only other players to get first place votes were forwards Sam Reinheart and Sam Bennett.
One anonymous scout said that Ekblad isn’t “a superstar by any means” but could become a very good NHL blueliner. TSN’s Craig Button provided this write-up:
When you build a team, you need a solid foundation. Aaron is a pillar defenceman who can play 25 minutes or more and do so in all important situations. His on-ice maturity is exceptional.
Most importantly, you can put together a rhyming scheme together for cellar teams on Twitter and other venues (i.e. “Fail for Nail”). Although, you probably could go with “Scam for Sam” if the rankings shuffle toward draft day …
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 133
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7