Jan 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
If the 2014 NHL Draft happened on Thursday instead of June 27-28 in Philadelphia, TSN’s experts believe that defenseman Aaron Ekblad would be the No. 1 pick.
The midseason poll saw eight of 10 respondents choose him first while the remaining votes placed him second. The only other players to get first place votes were forwards Sam Reinheart and Sam Bennett.
One anonymous scout said that Ekblad isn’t “a superstar by any means” but could become a very good NHL blueliner. TSN’s Craig Button provided this write-up:
When you build a team, you need a solid foundation. Aaron is a pillar defenceman who can play 25 minutes or more and do so in all important situations. His on-ice maturity is exceptional.
Most importantly, you can put together a rhyming scheme together for cellar teams on Twitter and other venues (i.e. “Fail for Nail”). Although, you probably could go with “Scam for Sam” if the rankings shuffle toward draft day …
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)