Jan 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EST
If the 2014 NHL Draft happened on Thursday instead of June 27-28 in Philadelphia, TSN’s experts believe that defenseman Aaron Ekblad would be the No. 1 pick.
The midseason poll saw eight of 10 respondents choose him first while the remaining votes placed him second. The only other players to get first place votes were forwards Sam Reinheart and Sam Bennett.
One anonymous scout said that Ekblad isn’t “a superstar by any means” but could become a very good NHL blueliner. TSN’s Craig Button provided this write-up:
When you build a team, you need a solid foundation. Aaron is a pillar defenceman who can play 25 minutes or more and do so in all important situations. His on-ice maturity is exceptional.
Most importantly, you can put together a rhyming scheme together for cellar teams on Twitter and other venues (i.e. “Fail for Nail”). Although, you probably could go with “Scam for Sam” if the rankings shuffle toward draft day …
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)