Jan 22, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Preparations for Sunday’s Devils-Rangers outdoor game at Yankee Stadium have been delayed by the winter storm hovering over the northeast, meaning NHL ice guru Dan Craig is in for long hours over the next few days.
“It continues to get more and more and get heavier and heavier every time I read [the forecast],” Craig said of the storm and snowfall, per NHL.com. “We’re just going to try and stay on top of it the best we can.
“We’re just going to continue to remove snow off the rink so that when it does stop, it won’t take us that long to remove what’s left and continue with making ice and get back on schedule.”
Craig and his crew are building Yankee Stadium ice for a pair of games — Saturday’s Devils-Rangers game, Wednesday’s Islanders-Rangers game — and also dealing with a smaller-than-usual crew. Out in L.A., Dodger Stadium is also in the midst of being prepped for Saturday’s Ducks-Kings outdoor game, marking the first time the NHL crew of rink-builders has been split into two teams.
Craig said he has a few local people helping out with the Yankee build, which has been “basically right on schedule” thus far. The crew still needs to paint the ice white and do lines and logos.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 70
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)