Jan 22, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Preparations for Sunday’s Devils-Rangers outdoor game at Yankee Stadium have been delayed by the winter storm hovering over the northeast, meaning NHL ice guru Dan Craig is in for long hours over the next few days.
“It continues to get more and more and get heavier and heavier every time I read [the forecast],” Craig said of the storm and snowfall, per NHL.com. “We’re just going to try and stay on top of it the best we can.
“We’re just going to continue to remove snow off the rink so that when it does stop, it won’t take us that long to remove what’s left and continue with making ice and get back on schedule.”
Craig and his crew are building Yankee Stadium ice for a pair of games — Saturday’s Devils-Rangers game, Wednesday’s Islanders-Rangers game — and also dealing with a smaller-than-usual crew. Out in L.A., Dodger Stadium is also in the midst of being prepped for Saturday’s Ducks-Kings outdoor game, marking the first time the NHL crew of rink-builders has been split into two teams.
Craig said he has a few local people helping out with the Yankee build, which has been “basically right on schedule” thus far. The crew still needs to paint the ice white and do lines and logos.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)