Jan 22, 2014, 9:57 AM EST
For a while it looked like moving those picks was a mistake as the Islanders floundered near the bottom of the NHL. Lately though, they’ve gotten a ray of hope with a 10-3-0 run. Vanek has been a big part of that. He’s on a six-game point streak, including this gem against the Rangers last night:
If anything though, this complicates the Islanders’ position. Back when they seemed destined to miss the playoffs, the Islanders would have almost certainly traded Vanek by the deadline unless they were absolutely sure they could re-sign him.
They might still end up moving him, but taking the chance of letting him walk as an unrestricted free agent for the sake of having him for their stretch run is starting to look like a viable third option.
For his part, Vanek is very happy in New York, but isn’t ready to make a commitment yet.
“That’s still being discussed in a number of ways,” Vanek’s agent, Stephen Bartlett, told ESPN.com. “They have to make a decision where he fits into their team structure … and Thomas has to decide whether at this stage of his career if that’s the best spot for him.
“But his decision in the end won’t reflect at all in the fact that he’s found way more positives than negatives about his experience on the Island.”
Bartlett added that he would “completely understand” if the Islanders ultimately decided to trade Vanek.
The Islanders still have eight games left before the NHL suspends its schedule for the Olympics. How they do over that stretch could color Islanders GM Garth Snow’s view has he evaluates the team’s future over the break.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)