Jan 22, 2014, 9:57 AM EST
For a while it looked like moving those picks was a mistake as the Islanders floundered near the bottom of the NHL. Lately though, they’ve gotten a ray of hope with a 10-3-0 run. Vanek has been a big part of that. He’s on a six-game point streak, including this gem against the Rangers last night:
If anything though, this complicates the Islanders’ position. Back when they seemed destined to miss the playoffs, the Islanders would have almost certainly traded Vanek by the deadline unless they were absolutely sure they could re-sign him.
They might still end up moving him, but taking the chance of letting him walk as an unrestricted free agent for the sake of having him for their stretch run is starting to look like a viable third option.
For his part, Vanek is very happy in New York, but isn’t ready to make a commitment yet.
“That’s still being discussed in a number of ways,” Vanek’s agent, Stephen Bartlett, told ESPN.com. “They have to make a decision where he fits into their team structure … and Thomas has to decide whether at this stage of his career if that’s the best spot for him.
“But his decision in the end won’t reflect at all in the fact that he’s found way more positives than negatives about his experience on the Island.”
Bartlett added that he would “completely understand” if the Islanders ultimately decided to trade Vanek.
The Islanders still have eight games left before the NHL suspends its schedule for the Olympics. How they do over that stretch could color Islanders GM Garth Snow’s view has he evaluates the team’s future over the break.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (86)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)