Jan 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have been phenomenal, but lately they’ve shown the slightest of cracks in their armor. On Friday they were handed a 4-2 loss to the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks. After bouncing back with a win against the Blues, the Ducks suffered their first home loss in regulation this season.
When you’re 37-10-5, losing two out of three games isn’t a big deal. That being said, the Ducks might be finding it particularly difficult to focus right now as they get ready to participate in the first warm-weather outdoor game on Saturday.
“There are a lot of distractions going on this week with the outdoor game,” forward Ryan Getzlaf admitted, according to the Ducks’ website. “Everyone wants to talk about it, and they have been talking about it for the last two weeks.
“It’s hard to focus in on what you need to do and on the points at end. That’s an excuse, and it’s nothing that our group hasn’t been a part of before or will be part of again. When there are distractions, we’ve got to learn to play through them.”
Anaheim will play against Los Angeles on Thursday as a prelude to their match in Dodger Stadium. The Kings have lost three straight games, but they’re obviously in the same boat when it comes to the outdoor game, so that distraction should be a non-factor going forward.
Even still, as Getzlaf said, this is an area the Ducks need to improve on. After this contest, another major event will be looming over them in the form of the Olympics. Plus, they’ll have high expectations put on them once the playoffs start, especially after they lost in the first round of the 2013 postseason despite winning the Pacific Division.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 39
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6