Jan 22, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The last time the Calgary Flames won at home, Santa Claus hadn’t even been to town. Another loss tonight versus the visiting Coyotes and it’ll be winless since Dec. 23, when they beat the Blues 4-3 in a shootout. Since then, the NHL’s coldest team has dropped seven straight at the Saddledome, all in regulation, while getting outscored by a margin of — get this — 22 to 4.
Suffice to say, the Flames’ pleasantly surprising start is a distant memory now.
For Phoenix, tonight is a prime opportunity to collect a pair of much-needed points.
“I haven’t even thought about [Calgary's struggles],” coach Dave Tippett said, per NHL.com. “We’re concerned with what we’re doing. We feel like we’ve played better the last three or four games. Our game has been pretty good, but that being said, we’ve only won two of the last four, so we’re concerned about making sure we bring our game to the best of our ability and we’ll see what happens there.”
The Coyotes can’t afford to let too many winnable opportunities get past them. Not when they sit four points back of Minnesota for the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference.
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 7
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 23
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 58
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)