Jan 22, 2014, 8:56 PM EST
Many believe that the starting goalie job for Team Canada comes down to Roberto Luongo, Carey Price and everyone else. That’s with good reason, as Price has been excellent this season, but Wednesday wasn’t kind to the 26-year-old.
The Pittsburgh Penguins chased him about 15 minutes into the second period, scoring five goals on 21 shots to give Price the hook. This is just the second time he’s been pulled this season, with the other occasion coming against the Los Angeles Kings on Dec. 10.
Of course, a goalie isn’t always pulled because the goals are his fault.
Here are all five of them, if you want to determine if it’s more about the Montreal Canadiens’ woes or an off-night for Price:
Jussi Jokinen 8:48 into the first period:
Taylor Pyatt 16:25 into the opening frame:
Jokinen’s second tally:
Sidney Crosby‘s 26th goal of the season:
Evgeni Malkin ends Price’s night:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46