Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
On Tuesday, it became clear that Paul Maurice, Ondrej Pavelec and the Winnipeg Jets’ hot streak trumped the Anaheim Ducks’ astounding home record, as the Jets squeezed by with a 3-2 win.
With that, both Maurice and Pavelec are on four-game winning streaks while the Ducks finally lost a game in regulation at home, as they’re now 20-1-2 at The Pond.
Make no mistake about it, Pavelec was the difference-maker tonight. The 26-year-old stopped 40 out of 42 shots as Anaheim dominated the play by almost every measure beyond the most important one (the final score).
With this win, the Jets move to .500 once more as they’re 23-23-5. It’s easy to see that they have more on the line; Winnipeg’s playoff hopes hinge on finishing strong, so to start, they need to do well at the end of this month. Following Thursday’s road game against San Jose, they’ll play three of four at home before a challenging four-game road trip.
The Ducks face an opportunity to boost their already-impressive season with a home-and-home against the Los Angeles Kings before they play five home games in a row.
Of course, now they look at least a bit more human in Anaheim …
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)