Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
On Tuesday, it became clear that Paul Maurice, Ondrej Pavelec and the Winnipeg Jets’ hot streak trumped the Anaheim Ducks’ astounding home record, as the Jets squeezed by with a 3-2 win.
With that, both Maurice and Pavelec are on four-game winning streaks while the Ducks finally lost a game in regulation at home, as they’re now 20-1-2 at The Pond.
Make no mistake about it, Pavelec was the difference-maker tonight. The 26-year-old stopped 40 out of 42 shots as Anaheim dominated the play by almost every measure beyond the most important one (the final score).
With this win, the Jets move to .500 once more as they’re 23-23-5. It’s easy to see that they have more on the line; Winnipeg’s playoff hopes hinge on finishing strong, so to start, they need to do well at the end of this month. Following Thursday’s road game against San Jose, they’ll play three of four at home before a challenging four-game road trip.
The Ducks face an opportunity to boost their already-impressive season with a home-and-home against the Los Angeles Kings before they play five home games in a row.
Of course, now they look at least a bit more human in Anaheim …
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 22
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 16
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 49
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 92
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)