Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
On Tuesday, it became clear that Paul Maurice, Ondrej Pavelec and the Winnipeg Jets’ hot streak trumped the Anaheim Ducks’ astounding home record, as the Jets squeezed by with a 3-2 win.
With that, both Maurice and Pavelec are on four-game winning streaks while the Ducks finally lost a game in regulation at home, as they’re now 20-1-2 at The Pond.
Make no mistake about it, Pavelec was the difference-maker tonight. The 26-year-old stopped 40 out of 42 shots as Anaheim dominated the play by almost every measure beyond the most important one (the final score).
With this win, the Jets move to .500 once more as they’re 23-23-5. It’s easy to see that they have more on the line; Winnipeg’s playoff hopes hinge on finishing strong, so to start, they need to do well at the end of this month. Following Thursday’s road game against San Jose, they’ll play three of four at home before a challenging four-game road trip.
The Ducks face an opportunity to boost their already-impressive season with a home-and-home against the Los Angeles Kings before they play five home games in a row.
Of course, now they look at least a bit more human in Anaheim …
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)