Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
On Tuesday, it became clear that Paul Maurice, Ondrej Pavelec and the Winnipeg Jets’ hot streak trumped the Anaheim Ducks’ astounding home record, as the Jets squeezed by with a 3-2 win.
With that, both Maurice and Pavelec are on four-game winning streaks while the Ducks finally lost a game in regulation at home, as they’re now 20-1-2 at The Pond.
Make no mistake about it, Pavelec was the difference-maker tonight. The 26-year-old stopped 40 out of 42 shots as Anaheim dominated the play by almost every measure beyond the most important one (the final score).
With this win, the Jets move to .500 once more as they’re 23-23-5. It’s easy to see that they have more on the line; Winnipeg’s playoff hopes hinge on finishing strong, so to start, they need to do well at the end of this month. Following Thursday’s road game against San Jose, they’ll play three of four at home before a challenging four-game road trip.
The Ducks face an opportunity to boost their already-impressive season with a home-and-home against the Los Angeles Kings before they play five home games in a row.
Of course, now they look at least a bit more human in Anaheim …
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)