Jan 22, 2014, 10:04 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens was all about goalies … and not just Carey Price getting pulled. A scuffle late in the third nearly opened the door for fight between Marc-Andre Fleury and Peter Budaj.
Oddly enough, you may agree that a near-goalie fight (and all the histrionics involved) is actually almost as entertaining as the fisticuffs themselves:
During the second intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Chicago Blackhawks Rivalry Night Match on NBCSN, Mike Milbury critiqued it as the “politically correct” move, especially in light of the Braden Holtby – Ray Emery fight.
Of course, one cannot discuss Penguins goalie fights (and one-sided ones) without calling back to Brent Johnson vs. Rick DiPietro:
While the thwarted fight upset many, chances are the Canadiens and especially the Penguins are probably pretty happy that they avoided an injury to a netminder.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)