Jan 22, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens was all about goalies … and not just Carey Price getting pulled. A scuffle late in the third nearly opened the door for fight between Marc-Andre Fleury and Peter Budaj.
Oddly enough, you may agree that a near-goalie fight (and all the histrionics involved) is actually almost as entertaining as the fisticuffs themselves:
During the second intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Chicago Blackhawks Rivalry Night Match on NBCSN, Mike Milbury critiqued it as the “politically correct” move, especially in light of the Braden Holtby – Ray Emery fight.
Of course, one cannot discuss Penguins goalie fights (and one-sided ones) without calling back to Brent Johnson vs. Rick DiPietro:
While the thwarted fight upset many, chances are the Canadiens and especially the Penguins are probably pretty happy that they avoided an injury to a netminder.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)