Jan 22, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens was all about goalies … and not just Carey Price getting pulled. A scuffle late in the third nearly opened the door for fight between Marc-Andre Fleury and Peter Budaj.
Oddly enough, you may agree that a near-goalie fight (and all the histrionics involved) is actually almost as entertaining as the fisticuffs themselves:
During the second intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Chicago Blackhawks Rivalry Night Match on NBCSN, Mike Milbury critiqued it as the “politically correct” move, especially in light of the Braden Holtby – Ray Emery fight.
Of course, one cannot discuss Penguins goalie fights (and one-sided ones) without calling back to Brent Johnson vs. Rick DiPietro:
While the thwarted fight upset many, chances are the Canadiens and especially the Penguins are probably pretty happy that they avoided an injury to a netminder.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)