Jan 22, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens was all about goalies … and not just Carey Price getting pulled. A scuffle late in the third nearly opened the door for fight between Marc-Andre Fleury and Peter Budaj.
Oddly enough, you may agree that a near-goalie fight (and all the histrionics involved) is actually almost as entertaining as the fisticuffs themselves:
During the second intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Chicago Blackhawks Rivalry Night Match on NBCSN, Mike Milbury critiqued it as the “politically correct” move, especially in light of the Braden Holtby – Ray Emery fight.
Of course, one cannot discuss Penguins goalie fights (and one-sided ones) without calling back to Brent Johnson vs. Rick DiPietro:
While the thwarted fight upset many, chances are the Canadiens and especially the Penguins are probably pretty happy that they avoided an injury to a netminder.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 28
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)