Jan 22, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Monster goes for Wings
Gustavsson has missed the last nine games with an injury of his own (groin) and hasn’t started since Dec. 28. On Monday, it was Petr Mrazek who replaced Howard midway through the second period of a loss to St. Louis. Gustavsson did play well in his last outing, however, stopping 30 of 33 shots against the Panthers.
He’ll be going up against Corey Crawford in the ‘Hawks goal.
Mason gets chance at redemption
Steve Mason will get the nod for Philly tonight when it hosts the ‘Canes.
Mason was yanked from his last outing — allowing four goals on 24 shots in a win over the Islanders — but has fared well against Carolina this season, posting a 1.98 GAA and .944 save percentage.
No word yet on who the ‘Canes will have in net.
Coyotes at Flames: Karri Ramo for Calgary, no starter confirmed for Phoenix.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)