Jan 22, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
A sampling of tweets following the Blues’ 7-1 loss in New Jersey last night:
But despite what Doug Armstrong called “an awful game” versus the Devils — a game in which Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott combined to stop just 16 of New Jersey’s 23 shots, causing what one columnist called “increasing unrest” in St. Louis — the general manager wasn’t putting it all on the goaltending.
“I think we’re a strong team when we defend well and we haven’t defended as well as we need to,” Armstrong told the Post-Dispatch. “And obviously you need timely saves. I know the guys want to give us better games than we’ve gotten in the last week and I’m comfortable that they will.”
At .910, the Blues’ team save percentage ranks a middling 18th in the NHL. That bears mentioning, because it’s not often that Stanley Cups are won with middling goaltending, and winning the franchise’s first championship is a legitimate goal in 2014.
Hence, all the Ryan Miller trade speculation as the March 5 deadline looms. A pending unrestricted free agent, Miller, 33, is enjoying an excellent individual season in Buffalo, boasting a .925 save percentage in 34 starts.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)