Jan 22, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
A sampling of tweets following the Blues’ 7-1 loss in New Jersey last night:
But despite what Doug Armstrong called “an awful game” versus the Devils — a game in which Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott combined to stop just 16 of New Jersey’s 23 shots, causing what one columnist called “increasing unrest” in St. Louis — the general manager wasn’t putting it all on the goaltending.
“I think we’re a strong team when we defend well and we haven’t defended as well as we need to,” Armstrong told the Post-Dispatch. “And obviously you need timely saves. I know the guys want to give us better games than we’ve gotten in the last week and I’m comfortable that they will.”
At .910, the Blues’ team save percentage ranks a middling 18th in the NHL. That bears mentioning, because it’s not often that Stanley Cups are won with middling goaltending, and winning the franchise’s first championship is a legitimate goal in 2014.
Hence, all the Ryan Miller trade speculation as the March 5 deadline looms. A pending unrestricted free agent, Miller, 33, is enjoying an excellent individual season in Buffalo, boasting a .925 save percentage in 34 starts.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)