Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will get a big piece of their defense back on Wednesday, as Jonathan Ericsson will return from fractured ribs to take on the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis.
Ericsson, who suffered the injury on a Matt Martin hit in late December, has missed the last 10 games — this after missing another 10 games earlier this season with a shoulder ailment.
Needless to say, it’s been a trying campaign in terms of health.
Ericsson has thrived in other areas, though. He had nine points through 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes per night prior to the latest injury, and signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
Ericsson was also one of eight defensemen named to the Swedish Olympic roster earlier this month, marking the first time he’s been chosen to represent Sweden at the Winter Games.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)