Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will get a big piece of their defense back on Wednesday, as Jonathan Ericsson will return from fractured ribs to take on the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis.
Ericsson, who suffered the injury on a Matt Martin hit in late December, has missed the last 10 games — this after missing another 10 games earlier this season with a shoulder ailment.
Needless to say, it’s been a trying campaign in terms of health.
Ericsson has thrived in other areas, though. He had nine points through 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes per night prior to the latest injury, and signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
Ericsson was also one of eight defensemen named to the Swedish Olympic roster earlier this month, marking the first time he’s been chosen to represent Sweden at the Winter Games.
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 1
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 18
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 13
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)