Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will get a big piece of their defense back on Wednesday, as Jonathan Ericsson will return from fractured ribs to take on the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis.
Ericsson, who suffered the injury on a Matt Martin hit in late December, has missed the last 10 games — this after missing another 10 games earlier this season with a shoulder ailment.
Needless to say, it’s been a trying campaign in terms of health.
Ericsson has thrived in other areas, though. He had nine points through 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes per night prior to the latest injury, and signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
Ericsson was also one of eight defensemen named to the Swedish Olympic roster earlier this month, marking the first time he’s been chosen to represent Sweden at the Winter Games.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)