Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will get a big piece of their defense back on Wednesday, as Jonathan Ericsson will return from fractured ribs to take on the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis.
Ericsson, who suffered the injury on a Matt Martin hit in late December, has missed the last 10 games — this after missing another 10 games earlier this season with a shoulder ailment.
Needless to say, it’s been a trying campaign in terms of health.
Ericsson has thrived in other areas, though. He had nine points through 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes per night prior to the latest injury, and signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
Ericsson was also one of eight defensemen named to the Swedish Olympic roster earlier this month, marking the first time he’s been chosen to represent Sweden at the Winter Games.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)