Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will get a big piece of their defense back on Wednesday, as Jonathan Ericsson will return from fractured ribs to take on the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis.
Ericsson, who suffered the injury on a Matt Martin hit in late December, has missed the last 10 games — this after missing another 10 games earlier this season with a shoulder ailment.
Needless to say, it’s been a trying campaign in terms of health.
Ericsson has thrived in other areas, though. He had nine points through 29 games while averaging over 21 minutes per night prior to the latest injury, and signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with Detroit in late November.
Ericsson was also one of eight defensemen named to the Swedish Olympic roster earlier this month, marking the first time he’s been chosen to represent Sweden at the Winter Games.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 12
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)