Jan 21, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
According to Pens head coach Dan Bylsma, Vokoun has been off blood thinners for a week and will resume taking shots in practice when his levels are normal. This development comes roughly four months after Vokoun “nearly died” after being admitted to hospital to dissolve a clot in his leg.
“I was lucky I was sent to hospital so quickly. I nearly died during weekend,” Vokoun said. “My foot was swollen, I had blood clots from mid-thigh almost to the heart. I was thinking about the end of my career. ”
It wasn’t the Czech netminder’s first bout with blood clotting issues. He was diagnosed with pelvic thrombophlebitis while playing with Nashville in April 2006, a rare blood condition that creates a multitude of blood clots. That ailment forced him to miss the remainder of the regular season and all of the playoffs.
Vokoun was put on injured reserve to begin this season, with a recovery timetable of 3-6 months. In early December, he told reporters he no longer had any health issues and would try to return to the Pens this season.
While Vokoun has been out, the Pens have rolled with Jeff Zaktoff as the backup to Marc-Andre Fleury. The former Miami (Ohio) University product has played well — 7-2-1, .906 save percentage, 2.67 GAA — and signed a two-year, $1.2 million extension with Pittsburgh in December.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)