Jan 21, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
According to Pens head coach Dan Bylsma, Vokoun has been off blood thinners for a week and will resume taking shots in practice when his levels are normal. This development comes roughly four months after Vokoun “nearly died” after being admitted to hospital to dissolve a clot in his leg.
“I was lucky I was sent to hospital so quickly. I nearly died during weekend,” Vokoun said. “My foot was swollen, I had blood clots from mid-thigh almost to the heart. I was thinking about the end of my career. “
It wasn’t the Czech netminder’s first bout with blood clotting issues. He was diagnosed with pelvic thrombophlebitis while playing with Nashville in April 2006, a rare blood condition that creates a multitude of blood clots. That ailment forced him to miss the remainder of the regular season and all of the playoffs.
Vokoun was put on injured reserve to begin this season, with a recovery timetable of 3-6 months. In early December, he told reporters he no longer had any health issues and would try to return to the Pens this season.
While Vokoun has been out, the Pens have rolled with Jeff Zaktoff as the backup to Marc-Andre Fleury. The former Miami (Ohio) University product has played well — 7-2-1, .906 save percentage, 2.67 GAA — and signed a two-year, $1.2 million extension with Pittsburgh in December.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)