Jan 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
To put it mildly, Toronto Maple Leafs winger Phil Kessel is on the top of his game right now. He extended his point streak to seven games (six goals, eight assists) with this goal on Tuesday:
Update: Kessel also scored another goal, giving him 26 on the season. The Maple Leafs won 5-2.
“He’s a mutant almost,” Rielly said.
That observation begs the question: what “superpowers” or “mutant abilities” might Kessel have? A few guesses:
- Super acceleration despite looking a little chubby in photos (Rick Nash also possesses or at least possessed this ability)
- The ability to score tons of goals and still get blamed for his team’s failures.
- Impervious to over-sized media pressure.
- Gifted at mocking Tyler Bozak for playing video games (warning: a little NSFW).
Any other powers to add?
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 51
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 77
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 26
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 33
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 35
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 105
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)