Jan 21, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Tough news for hockey fans in Newfoundland — according to Tbnewswatch.com, the Winnipeg Jets will be moving their AHL affiliate from St. John’s to Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Not that this should come as a huge surprise to IceCaps fans (see: this article from October in The Telegram), but it still must be tough to take when you consider the team is up among the leaders in AHL attendance.
St. John’s loss, of course, is Thunder Bay’s gain. A new rink is to be built in the Northwestern Ontario city of just over 100,000, which is also the birthplace of the Staal brothers, Patrick Sharp, and other NHLers, past and present.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5