Jan 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
NHL general managers will discuss expanding the scope of video goal reviews during their next meetings in March, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports.
In fact, LeBrun believes that there’s so much momentum for making sure that the Toronto “war room” can consider a wider array of video replays that the question might be when, not if, changes are made. There’s even talk that changes could be made by the 2014 playoffs.
(Such a change would require voting from the NHLPA and the league’s 30 owners, along with the GMs.)
While it’s likely that there have been those who have clamored for changes for some time, LeBrun points out two recent questionable goals that added even more momentum to the discussions.
Niklas Kronwall‘s questionable game-tying goal from Jan. 18 was a big one:
Monday’s game-winner for Joe Pavelski also brought about questions as to whether he was offside:
Bob McKenzie backed up the rumblings during an appearance before NBCSN’s Minnesota Wild – Dallas Stars game, but he also discussed some points of disagreement, as certain details (how far back will the reviews go, how far should replays be expanded?) need to be hashed out.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)