Jan 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
NHL general managers will discuss expanding the scope of video goal reviews during their next meetings in March, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports.
In fact, LeBrun believes that there’s so much momentum for making sure that the Toronto “war room” can consider a wider array of video replays that the question might be when, not if, changes are made. There’s even talk that changes could be made by the 2014 playoffs.
(Such a change would require voting from the NHLPA and the league’s 30 owners, along with the GMs.)
While it’s likely that there have been those who have clamored for changes for some time, LeBrun points out two recent questionable goals that added even more momentum to the discussions.
Niklas Kronwall‘s questionable game-tying goal from Jan. 18 was a big one:
Monday’s game-winner for Joe Pavelski also brought about questions as to whether he was offside:
Bob McKenzie backed up the rumblings during an appearance before NBCSN’s Minnesota Wild – Dallas Stars game, but he also discussed some points of disagreement, as certain details (how far back will the reviews go, how far should replays be expanded?) need to be hashed out.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)