Jan 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
NHL general managers will discuss expanding the scope of video goal reviews during their next meetings in March, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports.
In fact, LeBrun believes that there’s so much momentum for making sure that the Toronto “war room” can consider a wider array of video replays that the question might be when, not if, changes are made. There’s even talk that changes could be made by the 2014 playoffs.
(Such a change would require voting from the NHLPA and the league’s 30 owners, along with the GMs.)
While it’s likely that there have been those who have clamored for changes for some time, LeBrun points out two recent questionable goals that added even more momentum to the discussions.
Niklas Kronwall‘s questionable game-tying goal from Jan. 18 was a big one:
Monday’s game-winner for Joe Pavelski also brought about questions as to whether he was offside:
Bob McKenzie backed up the rumblings during an appearance before NBCSN’s Minnesota Wild – Dallas Stars game, but he also discussed some points of disagreement, as certain details (how far back will the reviews go, how far should replays be expanded?) need to be hashed out.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)