Jan 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
NHL general managers will discuss expanding the scope of video goal reviews during their next meetings in March, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports.
In fact, LeBrun believes that there’s so much momentum for making sure that the Toronto “war room” can consider a wider array of video replays that the question might be when, not if, changes are made. There’s even talk that changes could be made by the 2014 playoffs.
(Such a change would require voting from the NHLPA and the league’s 30 owners, along with the GMs.)
While it’s likely that there have been those who have clamored for changes for some time, LeBrun points out two recent questionable goals that added even more momentum to the discussions.
Niklas Kronwall‘s questionable game-tying goal from Jan. 18 was a big one:
Monday’s game-winner for Joe Pavelski also brought about questions as to whether he was offside:
Bob McKenzie backed up the rumblings during an appearance before NBCSN’s Minnesota Wild – Dallas Stars game, but he also discussed some points of disagreement, as certain details (how far back will the reviews go, how far should replays be expanded?) need to be hashed out.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)