Jan 21, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals must attempt to end their five-game losing streak without captain and NHL leading goal-scorer Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old is out with a lower-body injury, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. No further information was provided about how severe the sniper’s ailment is, although head coach Adam Oates described him as “banged up” earlier today.
Ovechkin continues to score whether his team wins or loses, as his 35 goals easily tops all NHL players this season; no one else even has 30 yet. (Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are tied for second with 27 tallies.)
He’s been left exasperated by his team’s struggles and now he must watch as they play the up-and-down Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25