Jan 21, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The Washington Capitals must attempt to end their five-game losing streak without captain and NHL leading goal-scorer Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old is out with a lower-body injury, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. No further information was provided about how severe the sniper’s ailment is, although head coach Adam Oates described him as “banged up” earlier today.
Ovechkin continues to score whether his team wins or loses, as his 35 goals easily tops all NHL players this season; no one else even has 30 yet. (Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are tied for second with 27 tallies.)
He’s been left exasperated by his team’s struggles and now he must watch as they play the up-and-down Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 0
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16