Jan 21, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The Washington Capitals must attempt to end their five-game losing streak without captain and NHL leading goal-scorer Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old is out with a lower-body injury, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. No further information was provided about how severe the sniper’s ailment is, although head coach Adam Oates described him as “banged up” earlier today.
Ovechkin continues to score whether his team wins or loses, as his 35 goals easily tops all NHL players this season; no one else even has 30 yet. (Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are tied for second with 27 tallies.)
He’s been left exasperated by his team’s struggles and now he must watch as they play the up-and-down Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 0
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)