Jan 21, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals must attempt to end their five-game losing streak without captain and NHL leading goal-scorer Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old is out with a lower-body injury, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. No further information was provided about how severe the sniper’s ailment is, although head coach Adam Oates described him as “banged up” earlier today.
Ovechkin continues to score whether his team wins or loses, as his 35 goals easily tops all NHL players this season; no one else even has 30 yet. (Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are tied for second with 27 tallies.)
He’s been left exasperated by his team’s struggles and now he must watch as they play the up-and-down Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)