Jan 21, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals must attempt to end their five-game losing streak without captain and NHL leading goal-scorer Alex Ovechkin on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old is out with a lower-body injury, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. No further information was provided about how severe the sniper’s ailment is, although head coach Adam Oates described him as “banged up” earlier today.
Ovechkin continues to score whether his team wins or loses, as his 35 goals easily tops all NHL players this season; no one else even has 30 yet. (Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are tied for second with 27 tallies.)
He’s been left exasperated by his team’s struggles and now he must watch as they play the up-and-down Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)