Jan 21, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
On paper, Alex Ovechkin missing Tuesday’s game with an injury was the last thing the ailing Washington Capitals needed, yet sometimes team rally when they lose their best player. That didn’t happen tonight, though, as the Ottawa Senators handed them their sixth consecutive loss 2-0.
After the game, Adam Oates admitted that Ovechkin’s absence was felt – especially on the power play – as CBS’ Sky Kerstein reports.
“I think we missed Ovi a little bit tonight, more than I thought we would because we handled it before,” Oates said.
The Capitals only have two goals in their last three games, with just one (John Carlson in a 5-1 loss on Jan. 17) coming from someone not named Ovechkin. They’ve been held to one goal or less in five of these six losses.
With that in mind, maybe the team as a whole is fortunate that the team’s goalie logjam has distracted many from what’s likely their true problem: scoring (or maybe just about everything other than goaltending):
If Washington wants to avoid slipping even deeper into this funk, they’ll need more from a host of different players.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)