Jan 21, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
On paper, Alex Ovechkin missing Tuesday’s game with an injury was the last thing the ailing Washington Capitals needed, yet sometimes team rally when they lose their best player. That didn’t happen tonight, though, as the Ottawa Senators handed them their sixth consecutive loss 2-0.
After the game, Adam Oates admitted that Ovechkin’s absence was felt – especially on the power play – as CBS’ Sky Kerstein reports.
“I think we missed Ovi a little bit tonight, more than I thought we would because we handled it before,” Oates said.
The Capitals only have two goals in their last three games, with just one (John Carlson in a 5-1 loss on Jan. 17) coming from someone not named Ovechkin. They’ve been held to one goal or less in five of these six losses.
With that in mind, maybe the team as a whole is fortunate that the team’s goalie logjam has distracted many from what’s likely their true problem: scoring (or maybe just about everything other than goaltending):
If Washington wants to avoid slipping even deeper into this funk, they’ll need more from a host of different players.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)