Jan 21, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
So far in the month of January, Ottawa Senators back-up goalie Robin Lehner has seen only one game. Wouldn’t you know it, he posted a 27-save shutout seven days ago against the Minnesota Wild.
The rest of the time, it’s been Craig Anderson‘s net, as the Senators look to turn around this season and the American puck stopper looks to re-discover what made him so difficult to score against in recent years. Anderson, with a .902 save percentage (38th among NHL goalies) and 3.19 goals-against average (46th among NHL goalies) isn’t having a banner season. In the last two games, he’s allowed a combined nine goals on 54 shots – both losses.
For Lehner, in his first full NHL season, sitting on the bench as the No. 2 guy has been a learning experience on its own. His last start not included, Lehner had allowed 15 goals in his previous four starts in mid-December.
This isn’t the first time Ottawa’s goalie situation has become a source of debate. That includes the run of games in December for Lehner, who maintained at the time he was still Ottawa’s back-up.
But it seems to be a recurring theme, so long as both have had their share of struggles.
“It’s pretty new to me,” Lehner told the Ottawa Citizen.
“It’s not as easy as I thought, but I’m doing my best and trying to learn from it … Just trying to play the best I can when I get a chance. That’s pretty much what I can do.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)