Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
At long last, it sounds like the Washington Capitals will finally get Evgeny Kuznetsov to leave the KHL in 2014-15. At least, that’s what the long-delayed prospect told R-Sport this past weekend.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
Of course, the question is: how long will he wait for those millions, as his leverage certainly would increase if he kept KHL teams in the negotiating mix in the summer of 2015. The 21-year-old has already acknowledged that he’d expect to go back overseas once he reaches 30.
Capitals GM George McPhee has taken a very measured approach to the situation – at least publicly – but it’s likely many fans are curious to see how Kuznetsov’s game would translate to the NHL, even if he’s struggling in the KHL this season.
If Kuznetsov’s indeed a man of his word, they could find out next season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 50
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)