Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
At long last, it sounds like the Washington Capitals will finally get Evgeny Kuznetsov to leave the KHL in 2014-15. At least, that’s what the long-delayed prospect told R-Sport this past weekend.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
Of course, the question is: how long will he wait for those millions, as his leverage certainly would increase if he kept KHL teams in the negotiating mix in the summer of 2015. The 21-year-old has already acknowledged that he’d expect to go back overseas once he reaches 30.
Capitals GM George McPhee has taken a very measured approach to the situation – at least publicly – but it’s likely many fans are curious to see how Kuznetsov’s game would translate to the NHL, even if he’s struggling in the KHL this season.
If Kuznetsov’s indeed a man of his word, they could find out next season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)