Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EST
At long last, it sounds like the Washington Capitals will finally get Evgeny Kuznetsov to leave the KHL in 2014-15. At least, that’s what the long-delayed prospect told R-Sport this past weekend.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
Of course, the question is: how long will he wait for those millions, as his leverage certainly would increase if he kept KHL teams in the negotiating mix in the summer of 2015. The 21-year-old has already acknowledged that he’d expect to go back overseas once he reaches 30.
Capitals GM George McPhee has taken a very measured approach to the situation – at least publicly – but it’s likely many fans are curious to see how Kuznetsov’s game would translate to the NHL, even if he’s struggling in the KHL this season.
If Kuznetsov’s indeed a man of his word, they could find out next season.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)