Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
At long last, it sounds like the Washington Capitals will finally get Evgeny Kuznetsov to leave the KHL in 2014-15. At least, that’s what the long-delayed prospect told R-Sport this past weekend.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
Of course, the question is: how long will he wait for those millions, as his leverage certainly would increase if he kept KHL teams in the negotiating mix in the summer of 2015. The 21-year-old has already acknowledged that he’d expect to go back overseas once he reaches 30.
Capitals GM George McPhee has taken a very measured approach to the situation – at least publicly – but it’s likely many fans are curious to see how Kuznetsov’s game would translate to the NHL, even if he’s struggling in the KHL this season.
If Kuznetsov’s indeed a man of his word, they could find out next season.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)