Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
At long last, it sounds like the Washington Capitals will finally get Evgeny Kuznetsov to leave the KHL in 2014-15. At least, that’s what the long-delayed prospect told R-Sport this past weekend.
“Everything has been decided long ago, so I won’t stay for $10 or $15 million,” Kuznetsov said. “People have been waiting for me, writing and coming here for three years. I’m a decent man and I will keep my word.”
Of course, the question is: how long will he wait for those millions, as his leverage certainly would increase if he kept KHL teams in the negotiating mix in the summer of 2015. The 21-year-old has already acknowledged that he’d expect to go back overseas once he reaches 30.
Capitals GM George McPhee has taken a very measured approach to the situation – at least publicly – but it’s likely many fans are curious to see how Kuznetsov’s game would translate to the NHL, even if he’s struggling in the KHL this season.
If Kuznetsov’s indeed a man of his word, they could find out next season.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 29
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 3
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 57
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (57)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)