Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
The New York Islanders came back from a 3-1 deficit for the second straight night to eventually beat the New York Rangers 5-3, ending their rivals’ winning streak at three games. They also left Alain Vigneault quite impressed, as he noted that “they made us pay.”
While Vigneault described it as a hard-fought game, Ryan Callahan wasn’t happy with the Rangers’ overall effort.
An opportunity for the Islanders
The general consensus among Rangers players was that they had an off-night, but the Islanders deserve credit for a job well done. They also might just make a jump, at least if their upcoming schedule is any indication.
While they’re playing tough teams to finish off the month, the schedule could still be lucrative for the Isles. They play four games in a row at home, two manageable road games and then play two more contests at Nassau Colisseum before the Olympic break. They also get three straight home games on Long Island once the break is over, so they could enter March by making some gains if they keep fighting.
We’ll see if that’s enough to push for a playoff spot – and maybe entice Thomas Vanek a little more – though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)