Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
The New York Islanders came back from a 3-1 deficit for the second straight night to eventually beat the New York Rangers 5-3, ending their rivals’ winning streak at three games. They also left Alain Vigneault quite impressed, as he noted that “they made us pay.”
While Vigneault described it as a hard-fought game, Ryan Callahan wasn’t happy with the Rangers’ overall effort.
An opportunity for the Islanders
The general consensus among Rangers players was that they had an off-night, but the Islanders deserve credit for a job well done. They also might just make a jump, at least if their upcoming schedule is any indication.
While they’re playing tough teams to finish off the month, the schedule could still be lucrative for the Isles. They play four games in a row at home, two manageable road games and then play two more contests at Nassau Colisseum before the Olympic break. They also get three straight home games on Long Island once the break is over, so they could enter March by making some gains if they keep fighting.
We’ll see if that’s enough to push for a playoff spot – and maybe entice Thomas Vanek a little more – though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)