Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
The New York Islanders came back from a 3-1 deficit for the second straight night to eventually beat the New York Rangers 5-3, ending their rivals’ winning streak at three games. They also left Alain Vigneault quite impressed, as he noted that “they made us pay.”
While Vigneault described it as a hard-fought game, Ryan Callahan wasn’t happy with the Rangers’ overall effort.
An opportunity for the Islanders
The general consensus among Rangers players was that they had an off-night, but the Islanders deserve credit for a job well done. They also might just make a jump, at least if their upcoming schedule is any indication.
While they’re playing tough teams to finish off the month, the schedule could still be lucrative for the Isles. They play four games in a row at home, two manageable road games and then play two more contests at Nassau Colisseum before the Olympic break. They also get three straight home games on Long Island once the break is over, so they could enter March by making some gains if they keep fighting.
We’ll see if that’s enough to push for a playoff spot – and maybe entice Thomas Vanek a little more – though.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)