Jan 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced goalie Jimmy Howard would miss at least one week of action after re-injuring his knee midway through Monday’s loss to St. Louis.
The news likely affected personnel on two fronts — in Detroit, where Jonas Gustavsson will start in the interim, and among the U.S. Olympic braintrust, who may be forced to consider replacing Howard as the No. 3 for Sochi.
Howard’s knee issue has already cost him eight games — he suffered an MCL sprain in November — and this latest setback will require getting fluid drained, per NHL.com’s Brian Hedger.
The procedure will keep Howard off ice for at least seven days.
According to the Associated Press, Howard “insists he is not concerned about missing the Sochi Games,” but one wonders if the selection committee feels the same way.
Looking at the calendar, this latest injury will keep Howard from playing until Jan. 29 at the earliest, meaning he’ll miss games against Chicago, Montreal, Florida and Philadelphia.
From there — assuming he’s fit to return — Howard will have just a handful of games to get into shape for the Olympics. Detroit plays five times from Jan. 31-Feb.8.
With the Olympic tournament set to get underway on Feb. 12 (final roster needs to be the day prior), it’ll be very interesting to see if Team USA makes a call to Bishop, who has reportedly been told he’s the No. 4 goalie on the American depth chart and would be on the team should an injury eliminate one of Howard, Jonathan Quick or Ryan Miller.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)