Jan 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced goalie Jimmy Howard would miss at least one week of action after re-injuring his knee midway through Monday’s loss to St. Louis.
The news likely affected personnel on two fronts — in Detroit, where Jonas Gustavsson will start in the interim, and among the U.S. Olympic braintrust, who may be forced to consider replacing Howard as the No. 3 for Sochi.
Howard’s knee issue has already cost him eight games — he suffered an MCL sprain in November — and this latest setback will require getting fluid drained, per NHL.com’s Brian Hedger.
The procedure will keep Howard off ice for at least seven days.
According to the Associated Press, Howard “insists he is not concerned about missing the Sochi Games,” but one wonders if the selection committee feels the same way.
Looking at the calendar, this latest injury will keep Howard from playing until Jan. 29 at the earliest, meaning he’ll miss games against Chicago, Montreal, Florida and Philadelphia.
From there — assuming he’s fit to return — Howard will have just a handful of games to get into shape for the Olympics. Detroit plays five times from Jan. 31-Feb.8.
With the Olympic tournament set to get underway on Feb. 12 (final roster needs to be the day prior), it’ll be very interesting to see if Team USA makes a call to Bishop, who has reportedly been told he’s the No. 4 goalie on the American depth chart and would be on the team should an injury eliminate one of Howard, Jonathan Quick or Ryan Miller.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)