Jan 21, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
While the Philadelphia Flyers canceled their game due to adverse conditions, teams like the New Jersey Devils decided to soldier on, even if it meant playing in front of minuscule crowds. Their accounts (and trainers?) may disagree, but Tuesday’s game appeared to be worth playing, as New Jersey decimated the St. Louis Blues 7-1.
This was the Devils’ first seven-goal output since they beat the New York Islanders 7-1 back in April 2010, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti. The team’s power play efficiency was also an anomaly, as they produced three consecutive man advantage goals:
Devils had 7 PPG at home all season and never more than one in game before getting three tonight.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) January 22, 2014
All in all, it was worth trudging the snow, especially if Henrique’s issue is only minor. Of course, the ordeal might not be totally over, as they must avoid getting stuck on their way home, as Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac can attest.
(As far as the Blues are concerned, Alexander Steen established a new career-high with his 25th goal. And … that’s about all the positives they can probably take from this one.)
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 16
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 29
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)