Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Holtby hasn’t started since Jan. 4, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Wild. He also gave up five goals in each of his previous two starts, on Dec. 17 and 21.
Granted, Holtby was relatively solid in a pair of relief performances, on Friday and Sunday, after rookie Phillip Grubauer, now in the minors, was pulled. But the Caps have lost five straight and have just two wins in their last 11. If they’re going to keep giving up so many shots, they’re going to need better goaltending in order to get back into a playoff position. Or, they could not give up so many shots. Or, even, a bit of both.
And all that goes double if Alex Ovechkin isn’t able to suit up versus the Senators. As of now, he’s a game-time decision.
“He got a little banged up against the Rangers,” coach Adam Oates said, per the Washington Post. “He knows his body, he’s been hurt before. He knows whether he can go. We’ll decide tonight, he’s been getting treatments. [We'll] come in tonight and see.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)