Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Holtby hasn’t started since Jan. 4, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Wild. He also gave up five goals in each of his previous two starts, on Dec. 17 and 21.
Granted, Holtby was relatively solid in a pair of relief performances, on Friday and Sunday, after rookie Phillip Grubauer, now in the minors, was pulled. But the Caps have lost five straight and have just two wins in their last 11. If they’re going to keep giving up so many shots, they’re going to need better goaltending in order to get back into a playoff position. Or, they could not give up so many shots. Or, even, a bit of both.
And all that goes double if Alex Ovechkin isn’t able to suit up versus the Senators. As of now, he’s a game-time decision.
“He got a little banged up against the Rangers,” coach Adam Oates said, per the Washington Post. “He knows his body, he’s been hurt before. He knows whether he can go. We’ll decide tonight, he’s been getting treatments. [We’ll] come in tonight and see.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)