Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Holtby hasn’t started since Jan. 4, when he allowed five goals on just 11 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Wild. He also gave up five goals in each of his previous two starts, on Dec. 17 and 21.
Granted, Holtby was relatively solid in a pair of relief performances, on Friday and Sunday, after rookie Phillip Grubauer, now in the minors, was pulled. But the Caps have lost five straight and have just two wins in their last 11. If they’re going to keep giving up so many shots, they’re going to need better goaltending in order to get back into a playoff position. Or, they could not give up so many shots. Or, even, a bit of both.
And all that goes double if Alex Ovechkin isn’t able to suit up versus the Senators. As of now, he’s a game-time decision.
“He got a little banged up against the Rangers,” coach Adam Oates said, per the Washington Post. “He knows his body, he’s been hurt before. He knows whether he can go. We’ll decide tonight, he’s been getting treatments. [We’ll] come in tonight and see.”
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)