Jan 21, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Even though weather forecasts call for Saturday to be pretty warm, Stan Kasten isn’t worried about the ice conditions at Dodger Stadium.
“The NHL has supreme confidence in their ability to put the game on,” Kasten, the Dodgers’ president and CEO, told the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. “I would have been concerned if the weather was going to be too cold, but in Michigan, even that’s not a problem.
“We should be fine.”
Here’s the upcoming forecast, courtesy Weather.com:
According to NHL ice guru Dan Craig, the important thing is to have temperatures at ice level stay at the 22-degree mark.
“That’s our focus, that’s what we want to be, that’s where we’ve always been,” Craig said. “The efficiency of the floor — I can tell you that it’s going to be 22, and the [ice-making] truck will be pushing at 20. Everybody says ‘well it’s 80 degrees outside.’ That’s how efficient that truck is.”
Puck drop is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. PT, which should help prevent sunlight from hitting the playing surface. The teams will also practice the evening prior to get a better feel for ice conditions, and one player — Anaheim’s Saku Koivu — already expressed optimism about the event being a success.
“It’s going to be even more special now with the weather,” Koivu said, per the L.A. Times. “Playing in California … I don’t think anyone ever thought it’d be possible to do here. It’s going to be a great experience.”
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
“They know who is the man.”
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
His goal got the biggest reaction in Columbus on Friday.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He’s been hot in the AHL lately.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)