Cooke: Sens’ forensic investigation ‘really strange’

Jan 21, 2014, 2:48 PM EST

cookekarlssoncap

Yesterday, Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk reportedly met with the NHL about his forensic investigation into the Matt Cooke-Erik Karlsson incident, which aimed to prove Cooke intentionally sliced Karlsson’s Achilles tendon with his skate.

Today, Cooke responded to the news. From the Star-Tribune:

Cooke told me of the alleged forensics presentation: “I think it’s really strange. It’s almost a full year ago that it happened. I’ve said this from the beginning and I still say it. It was a complete accident. It’s happened two or three times since with other guys (Toronto’s Dave Bolland severed a tendon from Vancouver’s Zack Kassian in November and a week after the Cooke-Karlsson incident, Winnipeg’s Zach Redmond had an artery in his thigh cut by teammate, former Wild Antti Miettinen, late in a practice at Carolina).”

On if he wishes Melnyk would just let it go, Cooke said, “I can’t control it. I learned a long time ago, all I can control is my actions and my words. I try to do that to the best that I can. Other people are going to have judgments. They’re entitled to their own opinions. I can’t tell this guy how to spend his money. He’s entitled to do what he wants.”

Melnyk has long maintained he felt Cooke intentionally hurt Karlsson and, roughly six weeks after the incident, went public with news of his forensic investigation.

“I’m going to prove whether it was intentional or not,” Melnyk said last March, in an interview on Toronto’s Fan 590. “You watch. It may be public. It may not be public, but it’s between me and the league.”

Cooke, who was playing for Pittsburgh at the time of the incident, was exonerated by the league for the hit.

“I think it was intentional, but you have to be able to prove it and from all the television angles that we saw, you can’t see it,” Melnyk continued. “It was so fast. But the force of that skate, (it) had to go in through a sock, a sub sock, then (Karlsson’s) skin, muscle, sheath and then get to (Karlsson’s) tendon… either this guy is very good or very lucky, to be able to do that.”

Yesterday, Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune reported that neither Cooke nor the Wild would be affected by Melynk’s investigation or its subsequent findings.

1. spezzdispenser - Jan 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Melnyk’s a dumbass

• valoisvipers - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Melnyk’s a dumbass and Spezza is playing like one. What’s up with that? Is he in the Paulwus’s dog house this year? He has less ice time and not playing with the top players this season.

• spezzdispenser - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Spezz’s ice time is more because of Maclean favoring a balance between Turris and Spezz. As for not playing with top players, he was supposed to play with Bobby Ryan but they didn’t click and Maclean’s been cycling through just about everyone on the wing hoping Spezza finds some chemistry and gets his mojo back.

• 950003cups - Jan 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Melnyk hired Ace Ventura. Case is solved!

2. lowenni - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM

And he’s right. It is strange. And pointless. There’s nothing they can do to prove it and it’s time to let it go.

• jpelle82 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

its like doing an autopsy on roadkill.

• govtminion - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Funny as this comment is, it’s also a perfect description.

3. penguins87and71 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM

It’s stupid.

4. skr213 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I guess I’m alone here in thinking this isn’t stupid. Maybe it’s just that none of you actually know much about forensics, but yes you actually can learn quite a lot in a forensic investigation – by looking at angles, trajectories, implied weighting, etc. Will they be able to say 100% it was intentional or not? No, of course not. But they might be able to find enough to show that it was most likely intentional (or not) etc. and that should be considered moving forward with any further discipline for Cooke (who actually has changed his game significantly it would seem).

• hazlydose - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Its not that forensics isn’t useful. It just isn’t useful at all in this situation. Whether they find out Cooke did it on purpose or not, I doubt there is going to be punishment from the league. The incident happened over a year ago…

Also, the man puts a strict internal budget on his team’s salary so that it is 13 million dollars under the cap. This budget led to the face of the franchise walking away in free agency because there wasn’t enough money to field a competitor. Under his guide, the Senators has lost on average $10 million dollars a year, not counting interest on the $150 million dollar loan (half of the teams worth) he had to take out to keep it afloat. Yet, he spends money on forensic investigations. Melnyk is a clown and is running the Senators into the ground with his antics. This forensic investigation is just a microcosm of his buffoonery.

• AppealToReason - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

He also bought some weird African Death Fighting company thing a couple years ago.

• skr213 - Jan 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Well, I’m with you on the prioritization of his money, but other than that … I’m just not with you.

• joey4id - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Can there be further discipline taken against Cooke? idk… Guilty or not based on the forensic evidence won’t be proven in a vacuum at NHL headquarters that’s for sure. The NHL is not in the forensic business, is not a court law, and won’t decide anything based on an investigation performed by someone who was hired by Melnyk. Melnyk will have to prove his case in a court of law if he wants to take this further. Then there will be legal wranglings, and if it ever gets to court Cooke will hire his own forensic specialist. What’s the end game for Melnyk? Maybe he’s bored and needs a bit of drama in his life, and he’s a bit of a gambler I suppose since he is into horse racing.

5. penguins87and71 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM

What difference does it make! Karlsson came back from his injury. It won’t make any difference now. The only way I can ever see this working is if Karlsson suffered a career ending injury because of this.

6. muckleflugga - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM

cooke’s no choirboy, certainly…

but detailed examination of moments of force, angle of attack and behaviour of rigid members in the enclosed graphic suggest

he may have been

7. 950003cups - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I never in a 1000 lifetimes thought I would be on the same side of a dispute as Matt Cooke. This Melnyk dude needs to be punched in his face.

8. sjsharks66 - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

So when do we find out? The suspense is killing me….

9. junterberger22 - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Wow this guy is an even bigger whiner than karlson

10. strictlythedanks - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM

The sens may need to get mcguyver in for this one.

11. ironman721 - Jan 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM

If he spent more time and money on his own players and team, maybe, just maybe his team could make a serious run. Signed a Pens fan who never liked Cooke either.

12. sabresfanallday - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Let it go already

13. sabresfanallday - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM

When this happens to Dave bolland no one cares

14. imgoingtowitchita - Jan 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Melnyk should try to at least recover the $3M+ in salary that he shelled out for Cooke’s mistake-intentional or not.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches