Jan 21, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Based on what Daniel Sedin had to say Monday, it’s a pretty safe bet the Vancouver Canucks will try to control their emotions a bit better when they visit Edmonton tonight to take on the Oilers.
As you are no doubt aware, three of Vancouver’s last four games have been fight-filled affairs, the last one resulting in a six-game suspension for head coach John Tortorella.
“It’s a fine line,” said Sedin, per The Province. “In the L.A. game we did a good job of [sticking up for] each other. The Anaheim game got out of hand, that’s going to happen. In tight games, like [Saturday’s game versus Calgary] and the game before, you have to stay out of the box. We can’t have six forwards left to play, that’s impossible. You want to be a hard-nosed team, but you want to stay disciplined.”
Vancouver has been shorthanded a whopping 28 times in its last four games, its previously top-ranked penalty-killing unit, now ranked third in the NHL, surrendering eight goals in the process.
The Canucks need wins, too. They barely beat the Flames in a shootout on Saturday; that was just their second W in 10 tries.
Meanwhile, the Oilers come into tonight’s game having lost four straight, their overall season so disappointing that owner Darryl Katz felt the need to publish an open letter to frustrated fans yesterday.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)