Jan 21, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Based on what Daniel Sedin had to say Monday, it’s a pretty safe bet the Vancouver Canucks will try to control their emotions a bit better when they visit Edmonton tonight to take on the Oilers.
As you are no doubt aware, three of Vancouver’s last four games have been fight-filled affairs, the last one resulting in a six-game suspension for head coach John Tortorella.
“It’s a fine line,” said Sedin, per The Province. “In the L.A. game we did a good job of [sticking up for] each other. The Anaheim game got out of hand, that’s going to happen. In tight games, like [Saturday's game versus Calgary] and the game before, you have to stay out of the box. We can’t have six forwards left to play, that’s impossible. You want to be a hard-nosed team, but you want to stay disciplined.”
Vancouver has been shorthanded a whopping 28 times in its last four games, its previously top-ranked penalty-killing unit, now ranked third in the NHL, surrendering eight goals in the process.
The Canucks need wins, too. They barely beat the Flames in a shootout on Saturday; that was just their second W in 10 tries.
Meanwhile, the Oilers come into tonight’s game having lost four straight, their overall season so disappointing that owner Darryl Katz felt the need to publish an open letter to frustrated fans yesterday.
"My wife asked me that. When did the Canucks get so tough?I said they've been tough since the start of the season." Dallas Eakins—
Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) January 21, 2014
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)