Jan 21, 2014, 2:13 PM EST
Based on what Daniel Sedin had to say Monday, it’s a pretty safe bet the Vancouver Canucks will try to control their emotions a bit better when they visit Edmonton tonight to take on the Oilers.
As you are no doubt aware, three of Vancouver’s last four games have been fight-filled affairs, the last one resulting in a six-game suspension for head coach John Tortorella.
“It’s a fine line,” said Sedin, per The Province. “In the L.A. game we did a good job of [sticking up for] each other. The Anaheim game got out of hand, that’s going to happen. In tight games, like [Saturday's game versus Calgary] and the game before, you have to stay out of the box. We can’t have six forwards left to play, that’s impossible. You want to be a hard-nosed team, but you want to stay disciplined.”
Vancouver has been shorthanded a whopping 28 times in its last four games, its previously top-ranked penalty-killing unit, now ranked third in the NHL, surrendering eight goals in the process.
The Canucks need wins, too. They barely beat the Flames in a shootout on Saturday; that was just their second W in 10 tries.
Meanwhile, the Oilers come into tonight’s game having lost four straight, their overall season so disappointing that owner Darryl Katz felt the need to publish an open letter to frustrated fans yesterday.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)