Jan 21, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Based on what Daniel Sedin had to say Monday, it’s a pretty safe bet the Vancouver Canucks will try to control their emotions a bit better when they visit Edmonton tonight to take on the Oilers.
As you are no doubt aware, three of Vancouver’s last four games have been fight-filled affairs, the last one resulting in a six-game suspension for head coach John Tortorella.
“It’s a fine line,” said Sedin, per The Province. “In the L.A. game we did a good job of [sticking up for] each other. The Anaheim game got out of hand, that’s going to happen. In tight games, like [Saturday's game versus Calgary] and the game before, you have to stay out of the box. We can’t have six forwards left to play, that’s impossible. You want to be a hard-nosed team, but you want to stay disciplined.”
Vancouver has been shorthanded a whopping 28 times in its last four games, its previously top-ranked penalty-killing unit, now ranked third in the NHL, surrendering eight goals in the process.
The Canucks need wins, too. They barely beat the Flames in a shootout on Saturday; that was just their second W in 10 tries.
Meanwhile, the Oilers come into tonight’s game having lost four straight, their overall season so disappointing that owner Darryl Katz felt the need to publish an open letter to frustrated fans yesterday.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)