Jan 21, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis spoke on head coach John Tortorella’s behalf on Tuesday regarding the 15-day (or six-game) suspension the fiery bench boss received.
The gist: Torts was a little too fiery, and that boiled over into that scene in front of the Calgary Flames’ locker room on Saturday.
“Torts is extremely disappointed in what happened. He accepts his punishment and we’ll move on,” Gillis said. “He’s an emotional guy and it got the better of him. He admitted that and the commissioner [Gary Bettman] accepted it.”
While there’s the chance that Tortorella may already be in hot water/on thin ice, there’s also the possibility that the two-week absence might have indirect benefits.
Despite leaving some fractured relationships behind in New York, there really wasn’t much/any turnaround time from the Rangers firing him to the Canucks hiring him. Moments like these can make situations worse, yet they can also give a coach a chance to gain a little rest and renewed perspective.
Hard-driving St. Louis Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock has said that a little time away from being the bench boss did him some good, for one. While Torts won’t receive the same amount of time off, there’s at least a chance one could find a silver lining.
For more on Torts and other NHL issues, check out the latest PHT Extra.
Update: The Canucks won their first game with Tortorella on hiatus, as Roberto Luongo looked impressive in a 2-1 win against the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)