Jan 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are one of five teams that are no more than a point behind in the race for the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
These next few games could break that logjam for better or worse as they face tough St. Louis Blues tonight and follow it up with key contests against the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers.
At least they should be some extra help as Damien Brunner (knee) was very upbeat after Monday’s practice.
“I feel 100 percent and I’m ready to go,” Brunner declared, according to the Bergen Record.
He conceded that whether or not he’s good to return isn’t his call, but Devils coach Pete DeBoer said there was a “good chance” that he’d play tonight. On top of that, the Devils placed Cam Janssen on waivers in a move that was likely designed to clear a spot for Brunner.
Brunner hasn’t lived up to expectations this season, but he turned a corner right before he was hurt. The Devils will just have to hope that missing a month hasn’t permanently killed his comeback.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)