Jan 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils are one of five teams that are no more than a point behind in the race for the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
These next few games could break that logjam for better or worse as they face tough St. Louis Blues tonight and follow it up with key contests against the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers.
At least they should be some extra help as Damien Brunner (knee) was very upbeat after Monday’s practice.
“I feel 100 percent and I’m ready to go,” Brunner declared, according to the Bergen Record.
He conceded that whether or not he’s good to return isn’t his call, but Devils coach Pete DeBoer said there was a “good chance” that he’d play tonight. On top of that, the Devils placed Cam Janssen on waivers in a move that was likely designed to clear a spot for Brunner.
Brunner hasn’t lived up to expectations this season, but he turned a corner right before he was hurt. The Devils will just have to hope that missing a month hasn’t permanently killed his comeback.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)