Jan 21, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
It seems like whenever the Blue Jackets score a goal in Columbus and their cannon goes off, a hockey reporter will vent about it on Twitter. They might just have to get used to it if the red-hot Blue Jackets keep this going.
Columbus set a new franchise record with its seventh consecutive win, and considering that the 5-3 victory came against the formidable Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday, this might be their best victory of the stretch.
“It’s nice that we’re on a roll, but we aren’t where we want to be,” Horton said. “We want to keep this good vibe going.”
Looking at their upcoming schedule, they have a great chance of maintaining their impressive momentum. Five of their next six contests come in Columbus, so this could be a great chance to pile up points.
If you want to find a simple answer for the turnaround, it seems like the team has turned things around as Sergei Bobrovsky and Horton have gotten healthy. James Wisniewski insists it’s about their strong work ethic, too.
“We’re a blue collar team but we also have depth, speed, size,” Wisniewski said. “Every game is the next biggest game for us.”
That attitude could serve them well. And, if they want to take it easier on beleaguered sports writers, maybe swap in a simple song about cannonballs instead of deafening blast every now and then? Just a thought.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)