Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
It was another wild first period for the Calgary Flames. Only no brawls.
Instead, the Flames were involved in a high-scoring opening 20 minutes. With their team trailing by a goal, San Jose Sharks’ forwards Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels scored 21 seconds apart to give their team the lead Monday. It didn’t last long, however. Kevin Westgarth scored his first of the season – and his fellow fighter Brian McGrattan added an assist – to tie the game at two-goals apiece heading into the intermission.
Westgarth and McGrattan were both central figures in the infamous opening-faceoff line brawl that took place between the Flames and Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. The NHL fined Calgary head coach Bob Hartley $25,000 on Monday, holding him responsible for the actions of Westgarth that helped start that brawl.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)