Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
It was another wild first period for the Calgary Flames. Only no brawls.
Instead, the Flames were involved in a high-scoring opening 20 minutes. With their team trailing by a goal, San Jose Sharks’ forwards Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels scored 21 seconds apart to give their team the lead Monday. It didn’t last long, however. Kevin Westgarth scored his first of the season – and his fellow fighter Brian McGrattan added an assist – to tie the game at two-goals apiece heading into the intermission.
Westgarth and McGrattan were both central figures in the infamous opening-faceoff line brawl that took place between the Flames and Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. The NHL fined Calgary head coach Bob Hartley $25,000 on Monday, holding him responsible for the actions of Westgarth that helped start that brawl.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)