Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EST
It was another wild first period for the Calgary Flames. Only no brawls.
Instead, the Flames were involved in a high-scoring opening 20 minutes. With their team trailing by a goal, San Jose Sharks’ forwards Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels scored 21 seconds apart to give their team the lead Monday. It didn’t last long, however. Kevin Westgarth scored his first of the season – and his fellow fighter Brian McGrattan added an assist – to tie the game at two-goals apiece heading into the intermission.
Westgarth and McGrattan were both central figures in the infamous opening-faceoff line brawl that took place between the Flames and Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. The NHL fined Calgary head coach Bob Hartley $25,000 on Monday, holding him responsible for the actions of Westgarth that helped start that brawl.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3