Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
It was another wild first period for the Calgary Flames. Only no brawls.
Instead, the Flames were involved in a high-scoring opening 20 minutes. With their team trailing by a goal, San Jose Sharks’ forwards Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels scored 21 seconds apart to give their team the lead Monday. It didn’t last long, however. Kevin Westgarth scored his first of the season – and his fellow fighter Brian McGrattan added an assist – to tie the game at two-goals apiece heading into the intermission.
Westgarth and McGrattan were both central figures in the infamous opening-faceoff line brawl that took place between the Flames and Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. The NHL fined Calgary head coach Bob Hartley $25,000 on Monday, holding him responsible for the actions of Westgarth that helped start that brawl.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17