Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
It was another wild first period for the Calgary Flames. Only no brawls.
Instead, the Flames were involved in a high-scoring opening 20 minutes. With their team trailing by a goal, San Jose Sharks’ forwards Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels scored 21 seconds apart to give their team the lead Monday. It didn’t last long, however. Kevin Westgarth scored his first of the season – and his fellow fighter Brian McGrattan added an assist – to tie the game at two-goals apiece heading into the intermission.
Westgarth and McGrattan were both central figures in the infamous opening-faceoff line brawl that took place between the Flames and Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. The NHL fined Calgary head coach Bob Hartley $25,000 on Monday, holding him responsible for the actions of Westgarth that helped start that brawl.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18